Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Exhaustion and Depression./ Citalopram

(3 Posts)
Itreallyistimetochangethings Wed 19-Mar-14 15:35:46

I finally started on 10mg today after years of depression on and off. Right now I am exhausted and could go away and sleep for 3 weeks if I could, but I can't. I am a single parent with no family or friends. I am half way through my degree but can't focus to read anything and absorb it. I literally get up to take my child to school and pick him up, without that I would stay in bed. I dread the thought of cooking a meal. In 2 weeks I will be upped to 20mg - I had CBT last year and it helped at the time. Horrible thoughts do creep in ....and I have to push them to the back of my mind. I hate being lethargic and de-motivated like this. but my question is how long before I feel better.

way2serious Wed 19-Mar-14 19:27:58

Hi,

I have been taking 10mg of Citalopram for 3 weeks and have begun to feel better in the last couple of days. I am still very tired, especially in the evenings. I have seen my GP today and discussed an increase to 20mg but have decided to wait a bit longer as I am starting to feel a bit better.

I am beginning to feel more positive and can see more of a future, whereas 3 weeks ago I was struggling to get through each day. I found this so hard as I have never suffered from anything like this before. I haven't cried now for nearly a week, whereas I was crying daily and hardly sleeping or eating.

I am due to start CBT next week but not sure if it will help or not. I have also been having some coaching and counselling at work as my anxiety is work related.

mouse26 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:19:20

Hi, I'm on 30mg citalopram at the moment. I felt so much better by the end of week 3 (2nd week at 20Mg). I know its different for everybody, I still have short periods (2 or 3 days) where I'm feeling like I can't cope through the day, but I do and it passes. Stick with it and tell yourself it will get better thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now