Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Being sectioned. What does it mean?

(12 Posts)
sparkle101 Wed 19-Mar-14 14:31:56

Hi

I hope you can help me. My nephew was sectioned on Monday, although I'm told he's there voluntarily.

He is 18 so details are sketchy, mostly because he put his waster of a dad as his next of kin and his dad won't tell us anything. (Nephew put him down as "he doesn't care anyway").

He is going through the process of female to male change, he has self harmed and threatened suicide in the past. He has been diagnosed with bpd and got the right meds but stopped taking them. He has been sectioned due to standing on the roof of a multistory threatening to jump. (More than once in the week)

He won't talk to me, he won't talk his mum, he has shut out everything and thinks he can do it on his own.

What does sectioning involve? Will he go back on the meds? Will they help him?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

SnowyMouse Wed 19-Mar-14 15:13:19

If he's there voluntarily, he isn't sectioned afaik. They will probably try to get him back on the meds anyway. It must be very difficult, hugs.

Mitchy1nge Wed 19-Mar-14 15:18:26

maybe he went in voluntarily and for some reason they changed his status once admitted, it is much easier to section someone once they are already in hospital - or he might have been detained in a short term place-of-safety way before agreeing to be treated in hospital? think there are probably a few situations in which he could have been sectioned and be/have been admitted informally

hope things get better for him soon

mrssmith79 Wed 19-Mar-14 15:39:33

OP, I feel for you, it's a horrid situation for you to be in. I could type out a huge post about the technicalities of sections etc (I'm a mh nurse) but if it's practical information you want the MIND website is excellent for explaining the different types and routes for treatment and acute inpatient care.
Hopefully when your nephew is feeling a little more able he'll get in touch - there's nothing stopping you from ringing him on the ward though, whether he speaks to you or not I'm sure at some level he'll appreciate that you're there for him when he's ready.

sparkle101 Wed 19-Mar-14 15:56:31

Thanks for the replies. Thank you for being kind. It's hard to remember how kind people can be with the hate he has faced.

I would ring him but he will just say he's fine and it'll be an empty conversation because he'll be on the spot, does anyone know if I put a message on Facebook he'll be able to see it?

I so want them to help him.

FabULouse Wed 19-Mar-14 16:54:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sparkle101 Wed 19-Mar-14 17:36:03

Oh I would only do a private message wouldn't put it on his wall. No point giving anything to his dad as his dad isn't even interested in him which makes my nephew putting him as next of kin all the more frustrating.

ShoeWhore Wed 19-Mar-14 17:39:47

Really sorry to hear about your nephew sparkle It's good that he's voluntarily agreed to treatment though. Many people in his position aren't able to do that.

The MIND website is really good and the telephone helpline is extremely helpful too. Well worth a call to them.

SilverStars Wed 19-Mar-14 19:47:58

Hi there are different types of sections, each one is a different length. The shortest section is for assessment and can only last 72 days. A common section is known as section 2 and is for assessment and treatment of mental health. It is for a maximum of 28 days. You can appeal against it. But you cannot refuse treatment on this section apart from a few treatments which require consent such as ECT.

SnowyMouse Wed 19-Mar-14 19:54:37

Rethink has useful fact sheets and info too.

littleballerina Wed 19-Mar-14 20:01:02

Some settings allow fb etc but some don't.
Even if he doesn't want to confide in you a phone call just to let him know that you're thinking of him may be nice.

Another thumbs up at mind website if you want info on sections, good easy to read explanations.

sparkle101 Wed 19-Mar-14 21:00:47

Thanks again for all your help, advice and info. Have been looking through the mind website and it has been a great help to understand a bit more what to expect and how to help.

I'm glad he will hopefully have to take his meds. The difference in him and his personality when he was on the correct medication was amazing. I just wish there was more I can do. But I'll be there for him when he needs me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now