Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

~ Can a 5 year old be depressed? I really need help.

(5 Posts)
thenoodlemachine Wed 19-Mar-14 05:58:19

DD keeps saying she wants to be someone else, she doesn't like anything about herself, that she is always in a bad mood. She is very emotional and bursts into tears several times a day. Surely this isn't normal? Does she need help and if so, what kind of help?

Boris13 Wed 19-Mar-14 06:26:11

First point of call - Make an appointment with the GP

Roshbegosh Wed 19-Mar-14 06:26:51

Yes she needs help. Talk to her, or rather listen to her, something is going on.

Jan616 Wed 19-Mar-14 06:40:07

I agree with the other posters. See your family doctor as soon as possible. Have there been any changes in your DD's life recently?

MotheringShites Wed 19-Mar-14 11:42:14

Total stab in the dark here, OP but my DS (5) would often say similar things. I've been worried he's pre-disposed to depression. Anyway, I took him to the GP (not because of this but ) due to persistent tiredness and he's been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea due to grossly large tonsils and adenoids. He's booked to have them removed soon but has been given anti-bs and steroid drops. He's already a different child.

It's just a thought. I would definitely get to GP immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now