Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

self-help books

(5 Posts)
missmuffettxx Tue 18-Mar-14 22:30:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GourmetGold Tue 18-Mar-14 23:42:13

'Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy' by Dr David Burns is totally amazing! No other self-help book comes near this book IMO.
Doesn't just tell you why you get depressed but gives you really simple exercises (CBT....the first CBT book ever written) you can use straight away that really work quickly, lifting your mood.
So easy to read as the author writes so well and seems so lovely, kind & has a great sense of humour.
I went down the self help book route about 5 years ago, after asking for CBT on the NHS, but being told there was 1 year waiting list & I'd only be put on the list if I agreed to take anti-depressants. Private CBT therapists were charging £80/hour which I couldn't afford.
BEST BOOK I've ever bought, changed my life.

missmuffettxx Wed 19-Mar-14 10:27:25

missmuffettxx Wed 19-Mar-14 10:35:27

bryte Wed 19-Mar-14 10:45:35

I'd second the recommendation for the Burns book. I believ there are exercises in that book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now