Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Worried about speaking to work :(

(8 Posts)
needaholidaynow Thu 13-Mar-14 12:09:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverStars Thu 13-Mar-14 14:07:54

Usually work places have their normal protocols they follow when someone signed off medium term, so as long as you know what to expect is normal it will be ok. Some places refer to occupational health when signed off more than a month, some do not have OH schemes.

apermanentheadache Fri 14-Mar-14 15:15:06

I know how you feel, Ineed... it's a horrible conversation to have, so stressful. Are they generally good employers?

Are you getting any help with the not-sleeping? Previously I have had the anti-depressant mirtazapine and am currently on it again. It helps but makes you eat everything in the cupboard/fridge. I have also been prescribed zopiclone for temporary use. What has your GP given you, if anything?

I truly sympathise - it's awful. Is this your first bout of depression?

apermanentheadache Fri 14-Mar-14 15:17:57

I keep trying to tell myself re. the "what will they think about me..." that it's their problem if they choose to gossip/ not understand. Obviously I know it's not as simple as that, but..... Still. And the understanding of MH problems is now a bit better at least.

Donki Fri 14-Mar-14 15:20:48

I've just been signed off again too. I worry about what work will think. But to be fair, so far they have been lovely and supportive.

needaholidaynow Fri 14-Mar-14 15:33:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

apermanentheadache Fri 14-Mar-14 15:46:14

sad

I think often people with no experience of depression will presume it's something that can be fixed relatively quickly, e.g., in a few weeks. Bit of rest, have some sleep, no stress etc. I so wish there was more understanding.

This said, your employers have been good so far. They may well continue to be good. I know I can never ever be optimistic about how things might turn out when I'm depressed, but things may be fine with them. Do you have to call them back today?

apermanentheadache Fri 14-Mar-14 15:47:43

PS it might be worth seeing if there is a GP with a special interest in MH at your surgery who you could chat to. There are things that can help with sleep while the Prozac takes effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now