Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Dont know where to start to sort myself out

(5 Posts)
Amphisbaena Wed 12-Mar-14 18:17:06

I am in the middle of a horrible bout of depression (have had it before, but not this bad for years.) I feel totally unmotivated, tearful, wiped out physically and mentally.

I am a SAHM at the mo, gave up tutoring a while back to focus on a career change that hasnt happened yet. Am beyond bored at home yet cant focus on anything.

GP has doubled my ADs yet a month on I am still so low. Apparently blood tests have shown I am low on iron and vit d too so have started supplementing now. Hopefully that will help. In the meantime I get breathless and weary just walking the DCs to school.

I just dont have any energy for the children. I feel really guilty because Im doing anything to avoid being with them - I just cant cope with being needed all the time at the mo.

How to get out of this hole? Just dont know where to start.

LastingLight Wed 12-Mar-14 19:25:09

It will obviously take a while for the supplements to kick in and help with the tiredness. If doubling your dose of ad's was going to help though I would have expected improvement after a month. Can you go back to your gp? You may need a different ad, and given your history of depression it may be a good idea for you to see a psychiatrist. Do you have people who can support you and help to lighten the load with the dc's? Talk therapy would also be a good idea. The way to get out of the hole is one step at a time using all the resources available - meds, therapy, small daily goals so that you can feel you've achieved something. Be kind to yourself, you are ill but things can and will get better.

silvermirror Thu 13-Mar-14 11:15:06

Low iron alone would flor a person the fact yu have a vit d too no wonder yur tired.
The supplements will take a few weeks but yu should start to feel more energy too.
Try to go for two or three walks in the daylight as that will increase vit d.
Homestart help families with children.
Depression is a bastard of an illness it takes away the happyzone it truly is hurrendous.
Look at natural ways to treat depression such as diet less caffine, eating junk rubbish sleep ect.
Defo look into talking therapy.
Yr local mind may offer couses or self help groups.

silvermirror Thu 13-Mar-14 11:15:37

Low iron alone would flor a person the fact yu have a vit d too no wonder yur tired.
The supplements will take a few weeks but yu should start to feel more energy too.
Try to go for two or three walks in the daylight as that will increase vit d.
Homestart help families with children.
Depression is a bastard of an illness it takes away the happyzone it truly is hurrendous.
Look at natural ways to treat depression such as diet less caffine, eating junk rubbish sleep ect.
Defo look into talking therapy.
Yr local mind may offer couses or self help groups.

Amphisbaena Thu 13-Mar-14 11:48:49

Thanks for replying. Yes I think I will go back to GP and perhaps discuss changing meds. Problem is having to come off the ones Im on to start another - can't face being meds free at the mo. Have to see what GP says I guess. I dont have a lot of support with the DCs lastinglight...DH is self employed with the sort of long hours that seems to entail. He does what he can tho.

Funnily enough silvermirror knowing Im low on iron and vit d has helped in a way - at least some of my feeling crap is down to that, and surely when I start to feel better physically then my mood will improve, even if only a little. Im looking forward to feeling less fatigued.

So yes, small steps is the way to go. Will try to be kinder to myself - have been feeling hugely frustrated with myself which hasnt helped!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now