Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Existential therapy anyone?

(1 Post)
GeoffLeopard Sun 09-Mar-14 21:08:06

I struggle with depression and anxiety - I'm all over the shop to be honest. Don't know how I'm managing to keep a lid on it. Anyway I'm on session 5 out of 6 CBT sessions. I've got the gist of it and it does seem to work. Though I've realised that however I re-frame things I'm basically having an existential crisis of sorts. I don't believe I'm going anywhere after I die, and now I'm a mummy to two beautiful girls I feel this black hole of hopelessness and overwhelming guilt that I've brought two babies into the world and I can't tell them that they're part of a special grand plan and that everything will be alright in the end. I actually can't bear to look them in the eye sometimes. They are my life's work but it/they'll come to nothing. Insignificant.

I ruminate like crazy (I'm basically crippled by guilt) and though I try and do the CBT steps and I don't have the energy as... what's the point even trying to be positive?

My therapist said there's something called existential therapy. I've found a little bit out online but I'd love to hear if anyone's ever had it. What were your feelings about it? Did it help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now