Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Why has sertraline stopped working?

(8 Posts)
jojack17 Sat 08-Mar-14 13:22:46

I've been taking sertraline for anxiety for about four and a half months now. I felt awful for a week, but after about three weeks they started to work and I felt calmer and able to cope with some really awful stuff which is going on at the min. But for the last week I've felt all the old symptoms again, trembly, dizzy, low mood, that feeling of dread and I can't understand why. Surely I can't have become immune to the meds after only a few months? I'm going to see my GP on thur but am pretty sure she will just suggest I up the dose...surely I can't be upping the dose every four months when I get used to it? Help, anyone got any advice?

itsbetterthanabox Sat 08-Mar-14 13:50:56

You up the dose until you reach the does which is therapeutic for you. That varies from person to person. You don't become immune.

TrueWorrier Sat 08-Mar-14 15:27:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jojack17 Sat 08-Mar-14 17:19:31

Felt lots better yesterday but then yuk again this morning, back to square one really, it's so disheartening after a few months of feeling relatively "normal" again. Thanks for the advice betterthanabox, but why do you think it worked so well for a while and then stopped? am also a little bit nervous of upping the dose and getting the side effects all over again...my tum hasn't been right ever since I started and am frightened it will get even worse if I take a higher dose. Bit fed up! Sorry for moaning!

Sillylass79 Sat 08-Mar-14 20:14:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MooMaid Sat 08-Mar-14 22:07:16

Agree with itsbetterthan - you just need to reach the level 'tailored' for you and sometimes it takes a little while to get there.

I was told that the first lot you take makes such a difference to your body because you're not used to the serotonin so your body reacts positively and you feel better. However life kicks in, your body gets used to the dosage, it's no longer a 'boost' and your levels drop off a bit. I guess it's like finding the right strength for you and keeping it constant once the initial euphoria has faded - hope that makes sense? (and is just my experience)

jojack17 Sat 08-Mar-14 22:30:03

Thanks moomaid, that's reassuring. I have a feeling that the doc will want me to up the dose and I think I will give it a try. Have
You any experience of upping the dose of sertraline...I'm wondering what to expect with regard to side effects?

MooMaid Sun 09-Mar-14 22:15:46

Sorry in the delay in responding - unfortunately I experienced side effects every sodding time I upped the dosage but I think its different for everyone.

For me I got stomach irritation (not full on upsets) and couldn't really stomach food. I also got dry mouth and nausea but I was able to persevere with it, so don't let that put you off increasing it if that's what your Dr thinks you need x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now