Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Nasty cold and citalopram

(13 Posts)
mouse26 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:57:15

Anyone else on antidepressants feel like they aren't as effective when they're ill?

I have a nasty stinking cold, have had for a week now, and I don't feel as though my ad's are working as well as they had been.

I know its probably just the cold making me a bit more miserable than usual but just wondered whether anyone else finds they are the same?

LastingLight Thu 06-Mar-14 19:23:58

Hey mouse26. <waves> I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling so well. I think that it's quite normal for mood to dip when you're under the weather, regardless of whether or not you take ad's. Hope you feel better soon.

mouse26 Thu 06-Mar-14 19:37:21

Thanks lasting- I knew I could rely on you for sensible advice smile I know in my heart its just the cold making me feel worse but I seem to assume every little dip I have is the meds failing sad
It doesn't help that I struggled for sleep again last night, my skin felt like it was on fire which has increased my anxiety today.

Have some thanks from me - you're an angel for always answering my silly moans xx

alicemac83 Fri 07-Mar-14 10:41:43

Hi Mouse26, I think it's normal, because you are assessing your mood constantly. I'm the same, I'm feeling a bit nauseous and have a bit of a cold and I can't work out if it's anxiety or illness. Probably a bit of both. I can't wait for the day when I don't think about how I feel every day!
X

mouse26 Fri 07-Mar-14 13:22:16

Hi Alice smile

I feel a bit better today - cold seems to be improving as well so was probably that.

I constantly tell myself that I'm doing ok, whether I think its true or not, and it just about gets me through the day. I hate it, I would love to just wake up and get on with things without having to give myself these little pep talks. Still, I'm managing to get to work every day so thats better than I was at the beginning of all of this.

xx

LastingLight Sun 09-Mar-14 19:26:36

Are you feeling better mouse26? How was your weekend?

mouse26 Sun 09-Mar-14 21:31:49

The colds much better thanks lasting - yesterday was quite nice, only had a few anxious moments which I was able to cope with. I've been incredibly irritable today though. Ds2 kept wanting to hug me and I had to tell him to leave me alone because I couldn't bear to be touched. Guess I failed at being a decent parent today sad im sure tomorrow will be better.

How have you been? xxx

LastingLight Mon 10-Mar-14 04:44:44

Hey we can only take it one day at a time and enjoy the good days when they come. I'm well thanks, had a good weekend except that I didn't study enough. because I spend way too much time on MN. Dd and I had a great time horseriding yesterday morning, she was so helpful and happy I thought I had taken the wrong child!

LastingLight Mon 10-Mar-14 06:34:54

Dd once told her psychologist "Mom finds it hard to give me hugs." It broke my heart.

alicemac83 Mon 10-Mar-14 12:31:48

Hi Mouse26, I felt like I failed at parenting this weekend too. My DD was driving me mad, constant whining, crying etc. All I wanted to do was run away or be on my own. But then I started worrying that maybe I didn't love her enough, and that made me anxious. It's such a vicious circle!
Parenting is so hard, especially when you're not feeling great! XX

mouse26 Mon 10-Mar-14 13:23:00

Glad you had a good time yesterday Lasting smile

It is hard alice and definitely a vicious circle. I hope you have a better day today thanks

I hate that I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere and feel better then I have these days where I can only just cope with the thoughts in my head (irrational fears) and the anxiety that comes with them, without having to deal with the kids too.

I spend far too much time on MN too, but sometimes it helps me keep the anxiety to a minimum so I try not to feel too bad about it wink

I feel a bit better today although wasn't a great start to the day - ds2 threw a little plastic ball and it hit me right in the face, so of course I shouted. Then he had a yogurt tube on the way to school and squirted it all over me and himself angry I didn't have time to go back home and get us both changed so we are both spending the day in dirty clothes. blush

alicemac83 Mon 10-Mar-14 13:30:51

I find mornings like that really stressful. Sometimes I can't shake the anxiety for the rest of the day. But I suppose it's normal when you have little kids! I think the reason I struggle is because she doesn't understand so doesn't know to tread gently sometimes. For me it's really hard because before this (8 weeks ago) I was absolutely in love with her! I hope those old feelings come back soon xx

LastingLight Mon 10-Mar-14 13:53:53

Bad mornings are horrible. I have spent a whole morning at work feeling shaky after an altercation with dd, only to find when I pick her up that she is absolutely fine and has "put it behind her" (in her own words.)

I just want to give you both hope. It can and does get better. There will always be worse days but as your treatment (meds/therapy) works they become less frequent. And children mirror our emotions. If things are going better for you then your kids will likely be easier to manage too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now