Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Hep. Don't know what's gone wrong??

(25 Posts)
TrueWorrier Wed 05-Mar-14 08:51:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LastingLight Wed 05-Mar-14 09:54:22

Meds can help, but only so much and in the face of all the stressors you faced I'm not surprised if you felt anxious. Are you getting any therapy? That could really help to teach you better ways of coping with the anxiety. And whatever you do, don't just stop your meds if you feel better for a while. You need to take it for several months before you can consider cutting down.

babyheaves Wed 05-Mar-14 09:55:42

Anyone, MH problem or not, would be stressed out after the week you've had. Don't take it as a sign of relapsing, take it as a sign of being human.

It sounds like you've done the right thing with self-management as you recognised that there was a problem and took action.

Try not to worry or think into this too much (easier said than done I know), and see how you feel in a week before doing anything like increasing your dose. If its been working till now then you're most likely on the right dose. You've just had a very normal reaction to stress.

TrueWorrier Wed 05-Mar-14 13:53:07

systemsaddict Wed 05-Mar-14 13:58:23

I have a dear friend who has a history of anxiety and panic attacks, she had a really hard time for a while, now has it all well controlled with medication and lifestyle changes. Except around day 24 of her cycle when it all goes to pot. It can definitely play a role; but so can all of the other stressors you mention. Something to talk to your GP about next time you see them.

TrueWorrier Wed 05-Mar-14 14:26:38

TrueWorrier Thu 06-Mar-14 08:50:05

systemsaddict Thu 06-Mar-14 13:26:06

That's great, glad you're feeling better!

alicemac83 Sat 08-Mar-14 09:30:45

Hi Trueworrier, im so glad you are feeling better. I was going to post something similar... After feeling normal for a while I've been feeling really nauseous and nervous for the past few days. Then yesterday I got my period. I think it might well be connected, I don't feel anxious in myself, my tummy is just churning- which makes it hard to relax. I hope this feeling goes away soon! Xx

TrueWorrier Sat 08-Mar-14 15:21:59

LastingLight Sat 08-Mar-14 15:36:08

It's probably a combination of things - hormones, dosage needs adjusting, or you need a different med. That's a horrible thought I know, but I've been through it. Can you ask for a referral to a psychiatrist?

alicemac83 Sat 08-Mar-14 20:25:25

Hi Trueworrier, so how long has your blip been? That might be all it is, a blip. How do you find the weekends in general? Could it be that you have less distractions? Sometimes the worry can create more worry and anxiety. If you try maybe accepting the anxiety and not fighting it perhaps it will subside? Xx

NanaNina Sat 08-Mar-14 23:48:18

I think fluctuations in mental health are very common. I've been having them on and off for 4 years since a severe episode of depression in 2010. The psychiatrist told me that these fluctuations were "to be expected" and my CPN also says it is common. SO I don't think it's necessarily to do with the meds not working although sometimes a raised dose will be of benefit, or the addition of another AD. The trouble is that it's all hit and miss with these meds and what suits one doesn't suit another and this causes so much confusion for us.

My mental health has taken a nose dive since the beginning of the year (though I have some family problems too) and I'm at my wits end really. I am ready to try anything that the psychiatrist suggests when I finally get to see him at the end of the month.

A well meaning friend suggested today that I go with her to a garden centre to "take me out of myself" - the truth was I had been crying most of the morning and was too scared to go into the back garden in case the neighbours were out, let alone go on a jolly jaunt. She was most insistent and in the end I just said I had to be left alone. I know she meant well but she has never understood my suffering and she turns up now and then to "cheer me up"

I was very tempted to repeat something I read somewhere "If your have never been lost in this particular section of hell, please don't give me directions.........."

TrueWorrier Sun 09-Mar-14 09:57:52

alicemac83 Sun 09-Mar-14 10:28:29

Hi Trueworrier,
Im feeling quite anxious today, but I'm stilling bed and I think lying around thinking is the worst thing I can do!
Sometimes it helps me to think back to before all this, and try to remember that I had good and bad times then too. I often think that life was perfect, but life just isn't like that!
You said you had some difficult things happen, would these have stressed you out before? Maybe it's just a normal reaction but because you are so attuned to your feelings you are worrying? I know the feeling! I'm the same- if I don't feel really happy I worry and then get anxious. It's a vicious circle. I'm tying to do what my cbt counsellor said which is just accept how I feel and get on and then you might find the anxiety goes. Is there anything in particular which is worrying you? Xx

TrueWorrier Sun 09-Mar-14 19:10:01

alicemac83 Mon 10-Mar-14 12:35:28

Hi True, this is exactly like me!! I'll be getting on with things and then suddenly I'll think about how I'm feeling and then start feeling hot and a anxious. I had PND too - and my feelings towards my DD are my main trigger. If I feel negative towards her - ie if she's being naughty, I panic that I don't love her enough (remembering the PND) I wish I could just let it go and accept that maybe every parent doesn't feel overwhelmed with love every single day! X

TrueWorrier Tue 11-Mar-14 14:54:43

innisglas Tue 11-Mar-14 16:53:18

They do say that psychotherapy is essential, the meds are to get you through the rough patch.

As for PMT, I really do recommend acupuncture.

alicemac83 Tue 11-Mar-14 18:50:49

Hi True, thank you for that. It really helps to find someone who has been through the same. That's a great way of looking at it. If I loved her before this (which I did- lots!) then there's no reason why it won't come back. I think the constant thinking is numbing everything. How are you feeling today? Any better? Xx

LastingLight Tue 11-Mar-14 19:38:38

Love is not just a feeling, it's also a verb. Sometimes we love our dc's by washing their school uniforms and making them tea and listening to them read... even when we don't feel the love at that moment. I see going to therapy when I need it as an expression of love for dd, even though she isn't directly aware of it.

TrueWorrier Tue 11-Mar-14 20:56:55

TrueWorrier Tue 11-Mar-14 20:59:44

LastingLight Wed 12-Mar-14 04:45:41

You can ask a psychiatrist about the meds effects here: www.health24.com/Experts/Expert/CyberShrink

alicemac83 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:25:11

Lasting light, your post has really helped! You are so right! And I think that we are worried about how we feel because we do love them.
True, I've started CBT recently and it's really helpful to look at things in a different way. Maybe talk to your Gp and maybe give them a bit longer? The pills aren't the only thing helping you get better, when you have good days it's more you than the tablets if that makes sense? Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now