Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I just want a job

(9 Posts)
Anonymai Tue 04-Mar-14 21:13:27

I just want to be able to work. Anything. Minimum wage, bog standard job would do me. I can't do anything because of this bastard OCD.

ARRRRRRRRRGH

<end rant>

LEMmingaround Tue 04-Mar-14 21:15:43

flowers How does your ocd affect you?

Anonymai Tue 04-Mar-14 21:21:06

A million ways but the main ones stopping me is the fact I can't touch bins, people, coins, cleaning products or meat. Very frustrating. I usually work in retail but since this has escalated again that's a no go. It boggles my mind that three or so years ago I was working in care, doing people's personal hygiene. The decline is just frustrating. I'm so whingey but I'm tired of being poor.

LEMmingaround Tue 04-Mar-14 21:23:31

Have you had any counselling? medication? could you work from home in the meantime? <sorry,not being much help> What would be your ideal job (ocd aside)

leezl Tue 04-Mar-14 21:24:34

Volunteer in a charity shop to drop yourself "into the deep end" but in a safe environment smile if you feel there's something you simply can't do, there's no massive pressure for you to do it regardless, but in time you may eventually feel able to attempt these things that frighten you. Plus it looks amazing on your CV smile good luck.

Blithereens Tue 04-Mar-14 21:27:19

What about call centre work? No coins, meat or cleaning products and you can disinfect your desk as often as you like! Can be tough but if the people are nice it can be a friendly environment.

LEMmingaround Tue 04-Mar-14 21:27:28

Does't have to be a charity shop, if you contact your local volunteer centre, you'd be surprised what opportunities are available. Its a good idea because as leezl says, theres no pressure.

Anonymai Tue 04-Mar-14 21:58:44

Waiting for treatment atm! They'll be in touch "at some point" apparently hmm

Ideal job (dream job) was being a teacher but the OCD made it impossible. Had to quit my PGCE because of it. Sad times :'(

Call centre work could be a possibility as long as there's no shared headsets/phones. I think I'd be good at that if it was incoming calls. Outgoing maybe less so but who knows grin

Volunteering sounds like a good way to ease in gently though! Then I wouldn't have the added pressure of it being my job if that makes sense? Because stress/pressure definitely triggers me off. It might get me used to being out there again?

LEMmingaround Tue 04-Mar-14 23:06:30

Call centre work is fucking grim. You need to aim for something more stimulating. What is your first degree in? You can nag the counsellors just give them a call and ask when you are likely to be seen. Certain antidepressants are very effective for ocd sufferers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now