Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I don't want medication, cbt or sleep hygiene - just a tablet to help me sleep. Too much?

(14 Posts)
pancakedayiscoming Fri 21-Feb-14 17:14:06

I'm managing really well, my depression is mild and is the result of a recent life event. I've had therapy, I just can't sleep. GP today however, yes a locum but I don't have a particular GP that I see regularly, wouldn't give me a second prescription. Am I being unreasonable? I was furious. I did argue the toss and get a two week supply. All I'm taking is an antihistamine, nothing more heavy weight. what do you think, should I keep arguing or give in and not ask for more?

NoStalker Fri 21-Feb-14 17:36:13

What were their reasons for not prescribing more? Or did they not even discuss it with you?

Anniemousse Fri 21-Feb-14 17:38:49

Have you tried Kalms (valerian)?
Knock me out

pancakedayiscoming Fri 21-Feb-14 17:41:43

Thanks for responding NoStalker, she said it was better to treat the cause via therapy. Things is, I'm a professional in that side of things and know all there is to know, I teach, supervise, manage, in that side of things. AND I've had loads of therapy. This is a result of a tragic life event that I'm struggle to come to terms with and, truthfully, only time will heal. Therapy hasn't and won't shift it, so more therapy, of a lesser calibre won't touch the sides. She was unwilling to acknowledge my knowledge in the area. I was so frustrated with her!

NoStalker Fri 21-Feb-14 17:55:51

Sounds very frustrating yes. sad It sounds like you know your situation, whereas she was just talking from a general point of view. Is there anyone else in the surgery who you think would be of more help?

My GP stopped prescribing me sleeping tablets in one point, but that was a totally different situation, I had been on them for quite a while, and I could see their point. In general I also think it's great to recommend treating the causes of depression/anxiety rather than just pushing pills, but obviously sometimes you just need that medical help to get over something that can't be changed.

pancakedayiscoming Fri 21-Feb-14 20:57:26

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply Nostalker. I'm feeling calmer now. There are people I can talk to, including other GPs. I think I partly over reacted at the time because, as you say, she was following a textbook, and as for me, I'd had a few weeks of sleep and became stressed at the thought that I had to return to not sleeping. I'm doing my best to avoid sick leave. It's just all so frustrating.

Sillylass79 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:07:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 21-Feb-14 21:09:02

Nytol works for me when I get into a bad sleeping cycle.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 21-Feb-14 21:10:21

Also Buteyko breathing; I do it every night and it bores sends me to sleep every time.

Sillylass79 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:11:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 21-Feb-14 21:52:44

Buteyko is a breathing method which may or may not cure asthma and every disease known to man. It's eminently googlable.

There's a particular technique used for calming down a panic attack/hyperventilation (never used it for those), which also acts as a soporific.
Can describe it/pm you details if you're interested.

livingzuid Sat 22-Feb-14 11:16:29

There is an otc sleep tablet I have which is essentially an antihistamine called Promethazine. Six pounds buys you at least 30 tablets. It's a mild sedative too. The only downside for me is that I am very dopey the next day if I use it. But when I'm in an episode or at risk I will suffer the dopyness happily! I only use them when necessary as I don't want to be dependent on these kinds of things.

See what you think
www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Insomnia&medicine=Promethazine&preparation=Promethazine+hydrochloride+25mg+tablets

pancakedayiscoming Sat 22-Feb-14 13:10:39

Thanks guys, will follow up those tips!

SilverStars Sat 22-Feb-14 13:58:22

I hear you. However, I took sleeping tablets on prescription for so long a few years ago that they stopped working. So did not help long term. Did not get offered therapy so had to learn how to sleep for me. Best thing I learnt to do was:
simple routine - in bed roughly same time each night and made sure got up each morning
if I had nap in day my sleep at night was worse, so however tired I was to be awake all day
no screen time or heavy food late at night
used puzzles/sudoko type things to switch brain off at night
MAIN THING = to accept that sometimes I do not sleep and to accept it and not stress about it. More I stressed worse I was. Sometimes things happen that mean sleep is not ideal length or quality. But on nights I slept well I told myself I was "banking extra hours for the bad nights" and nights I had little sleep I managed to avoid stressing about it and curled up with a simple book/magazine to pass the time.

The dr's agreed my sleep was not good but when taking tablets I was not sleeping as they stopped working. So I stopped tablets. Months later I was allowed 2-4 sleeping tablets a month, so if I have a bad week or 2 I use them to get a few nights good sleep. That works for me. Could you use the tablets you have been prescribed like that? Not every day, but a few each week to eek them out?

Sometimes life is tough, sadly. And I agree more therapy does not always help - it cannot take away grief, stress, job losses etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now