Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram and pregnancy.

(2 Posts)
Sleepingstarsmommy Fri 21-Feb-14 14:01:01

My son was still born last September and despite trying to manage without medication I recognise that I do perhaps need it at the moment.

My concern is that we are actively trying to conceive and I am worried about the risks. My GP has prescribed 20mg of citalopram a day and my consultant gynae/obstetrician who has an interest in mh has said the risks are tiny and thinks it is the right course of action.

Having already suffered 3 early miscarriages and a still birth in the last 3 years I am obviously anxious about taking any risks but I am struggling to function properly day to day.

Has anyone got any experience of citalopram in pregnancy both good and bad that they would care to share with me??

BeerHunter Sun 02-Mar-14 21:54:31

I am so sorry for your losses.

I have no experience of citalopram but I did take escitalopram, which is a refined version apparently,(plus other medications,)throughout my pregnancy and toddler is doing fine. Do you have any specific concerns?

Purely anecdotal but I went through a miscarriage whilst on no meds but carried to term with DS and I was taking meds pre conception and all the way through pregnancy.

I am sure there are plenty of people that have done without too. It is ultimately down to you but it certainly isn't an easy decision to make.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now