Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is this normal?

(7 Posts)
Katkins1 Wed 19-Feb-14 23:14:16

Hi

Thanks to all of the lovely advice on here went to see my GP today, who said I should self-refer to bereavement counselling instead of my private counsellor who I can't see anymore due to cost.

She suggested medication and I said I couldn't cope with the side effects(have had in past), so she said that was OK.

She asked if I'd had thoughts of self-harm , I said sometimes. It's an old habit going back years. Said would I act on them? I said no.

Then started to ask how I was coping with DD. Is that normal for them to ask? I'm a single mum. I'm a student too, final year, so I'm coping OK, by and large.

She wants to see me back in 2 weeks. I've not been to the GP for so long that I don't know the routine!

Trying not to get wound up about it; but is it normal to ask how coping with children?

DrJeanGrey Thu 20-Feb-14 08:00:31

Yes, children are very hard to cope with when you are feeling low.

Katkins1 Thu 20-Feb-14 10:37:39

But do they do anything about it though ? My DD is fine, dressed fine, always clean, goes to the child-minder's every day, I get to classes on time. I understand why she asked; but does she need to/ will she do anything?

prettydaisies Thu 20-Feb-14 11:49:21

My GP often asks me how I'm coping at home. My children are older so it's more like keeping the house clean, doing the washing etc. I think she's trying to assess how much my mental health problems are affecting my every day life. Hopefully that's what yours was doing.
Oh and going back in 2 weeks is quite normal (at least in my experience).

BettyG1981 Thu 20-Feb-14 12:32:06

My doctor asks me how I'm coping at home. She needs to make sure that I'm getting the help and support I need and what she can offer in terns of help and support. It can feel like they want to check up on you, but it is the opposite. I see my GP every two weeks at the moment to make sure my meds are going okay and that I'm moving forward and getting better. Two weeks is pretty standard.

SilverStars Thu 20-Feb-14 17:23:10

Hi. Yes. Standard to ask how coping with children whether single parent or otherwise. If people struggle enough to benefit from talking treatment it is important a gp checks whether more support is needed for the family.

Katkins1 Thu 20-Feb-14 19:44:11

Ah, Ok, thanks. I just wasn't sure what to expect. I've been in and out of mental health services for years; but not so much for the last 4 or so. I just wasn't sure what to expect, and I think, now that I'm more switched on to my own treatment, I am aware of the wider implications. I hope you are all doing Ok, and moving forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now