Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Shouting it out - better out than in?

(4 Posts)
theeverydaydancer Mon 17-Feb-14 16:29:02

Since the beginning of January I have quit cigarettes, alcohol and caffeine drinks. I have also started counselling. I have gone none contact with my toxic parents.

The net effect of this is a lot of very difficult emotions which would otherwise have been swept under the carpet by the fags, booze, junk food etc are now very much on the surface.

I feel like I can't contain them anymore and a lifetime's worth of anger, resentment, frustration etc is spilling out of me in the form of shouting fits. I have only started doing this since I started all this in January. I don't shout at anyone, its just me in the bathroom shouting (usually saying the things I'd like to say to my parents etc). I'm worried my little one will be scared when this happens, because she would still be able to hear me but also worried that the neighbours will hear and think I'm crazy and call social services.

I just don't know how else to deal with these emotions. I feel like I can't hold them inside my body anymore. I've tried journalling, but that doesn't really work for me.

Am I being weird and crazy or is shouting it out actually a healthy way to let off steam?

LastingLight Mon 17-Feb-14 17:34:17

When I went through a difficult patch I would go and sit in my car in the garage and shout, that way nobody could hear me. Or shout into a pillow. It definitely dissipates some of the strong emotion.

NoStalker Mon 17-Feb-14 18:24:49

I think finding a good place to shout and going for it sounds great. Also great that you've got counselling to help you get through it all - I hope it's also of use!

theeverydaydancer Mon 17-Feb-14 19:06:59

I feel it definitely releases a lot of tension. It would otherwise just sit in my body and I would have these pains of anxiety/tension sitting in my tummy. Or I would self harm by hitting my own head or drinking too much. I feel a sense of calm after my shouty outburst in the bathroom today. I think my concern is of the neighbours (if they can hear) and also freaking out my DD. I do freak myself out too, I have never shouted at anyone in my life, so this is a lifetimes worth of shoutiness coming out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now