Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Post natal depression

(2 Posts)
Madcat22 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:54:38

I have a six week old baby girl who I love terribly. Unfortunately, I have started to develop symptoms of PND despite a really good start. I know this because I had it really badly after my DS was born 3 years ago. Last time I got better with Citalopram which was great for me. However, this was when DS was older so I was ok to stop BF to take the meds - I absolutely don't want to take anything at all while BF. As DD is doing so well BF I really don't want to stop yet. I'm due to start CBT in 10 days but I feel really lonely and isolated and just want someone to talk to who has been through PND too. Any tips for support and help would be gratefully received. I really don't want this to affect my beautiful babies x

whereisthewitch Fri 14-Feb-14 20:43:59

Hi madcat, I had PND and was given fluoxetine which as far as I know is safe while bfing.
I found the best thing for me was to get out of the house everyday, even if it meant just going to asda cafe for a coffee, I know how lonely it feels, how guilty you feel and for me I was so jealous of all my friends who seemed like perfect mums when I was failing so miserably sad
But it's an illness, just like physical illness and absolutely no reflection on you as a person or a mum! I still have days where I struggle with being a mum, I have a 2 yo and am currently pregnant. I dread those newborn days so much but at least I know this time there's is light at the end....remember these feelings won't last forever, even iftit feels never ending atm.
Hugs to you, one day at a time x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now