Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think my DH needs a bit of help

(5 Posts)
Thebluedog Wed 12-Feb-14 18:22:12

Just to give you some back ground, we've had a really busy, brilliant, but, in parts, stressful year. We've gone through and worked out some relationship problems, on both sides, we've adopted a little girl and identified, and starting to address some hefty debts.

I thought we were both coping well, but my DH has been a little 'off his game' for a while now.

A few nights ago he told me he felt that something was missing from inside him, and he was feeling increasingly frustrated. But he didn't know why (or what), it what was missing. We were fine, the kids are fine (his words). He simply didn't know what was wrong. He's also got really worried about his general health and thinks there is something wrong with him, or there will be soon (he has no proof of this)

He's never slept well and I know he gets really pissed off with being tired, add to that he has a 110 mile round trip each day to work which he hates.

The past two nights he's been unable to sleep for more than a few hours and goes to bed really really angry and wakes in the same way. He got up at 5 am today as he couldn't stay in bed any longer. He's not angry at anything, or anyone in particular, and I wouldn't know he felt this way, unless he told me. But he said he's just furious for no particular reason.

Sounds a bit unbelievable but I've suffered from panic attacks a few years ago, and the way he describes this is exactly the same way I'd describe my panic attacks, just with anger rather than panic.

I've searched the net for info on this but all I can find is people experiencing getting angry over something in particular.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

I know that he's booked an appointment with the doctor too.

Honeysweet Wed 12-Feb-14 18:23:37

Glad that he has booked an appointment. It could be that he has depression.

WeeSleekit Wed 12-Feb-14 18:28:17

It sounds like he's experiencing anxiety tbh but like you say he's describing anxiety as anger. It may be that he feels unable to verbalise it as fear/anxiety but the way you describe him being worried about his health and his problems sleeping sound classic. It's great that he's going to the doctor.

WeeSleekit Wed 12-Feb-14 18:29:48

If you google anxiety and anger there's some good information.

SilverStars Wed 12-Feb-14 19:14:32

Also the long commute may be causing some issues as well. It was not until I stopped commuting that I realised what a strain it was. Did not help my sleep either, knowing had to get up, miss the traffic etc. Is there anything he can practically do to help himself (apart from already booking to see the gp) - good sleep hygiene (no late meals, no caffeine late at night, not too hot in bed, no screen time an hour before bed, a regular bedtime and get up - so no napping at weekend to catch up etc)? Exercise? healthy diet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now