Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Bulimia and alcohol

(4 Posts)
Beans1234 Tue 11-Feb-14 13:31:19

Ok, so, I don't need advise per se, just some solidarity before I seek help. I am bulimic (not badly to be honest) and indulge in too much wine. My son is amazing and my husband is too. I feel selfish and irresponsible that I have these problems and nothing really to blame for these problems. Any other mothers stuck in a rut like this?

Pinkandwhite Tue 11-Feb-14 18:12:54

Hi Beans, I'm just replying to bump your post up. I'm quite certain that many other women are suffering from bulimia and drink a little more than they're happy with. It's great you're going to seek help. Try not to give yourself a hard time. I'm sure you're neither selfish or irresponsible. They'll be good reasons why you're using food and drink as you are. With the right help you'll be able to identify healthy ways of getting whatever it is you've been getting from the food/wine.

DystopianReality Tue 11-Feb-14 18:22:58

I see quite a few people with bulimia who describe very similar behaviour. It is almost as if..depriving yourself of calories as food, one needs 'something' to fill the gap of deprivation.

You sound as if you have more than enough positive attributes and I echo Pinkandwhite, don't feel too bad about it; it can become a horrible 'self-fulfilling prophesy' to feel you are so bad. I'm sure you are not.

Thetallestsunflower Wed 12-Feb-14 21:26:19

I am the same :-(. I eat too few calories but then make up my calories with wine as it takes the edge of my unhappiness.
If I am both over eating and drinking too much then I end up making myself sick.
Also I find I become more fixated with losing weight when other aspects of my life are rubbish (like now). Its almost as though I want something to go right or to be good at something so my focus goes onto losing weight and getting thin again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now