Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Panic attacks and doctors?

(11 Posts)
Nojustalurker Mon 10-Feb-14 08:07:08

I know there is a similair thread on this theme but I don't want to hijack somebody else thread.

I am having increasing problems with anxiety, mostly caused by work but I am an anxious person. I have been suffering from heightened anxiety and panic attacks. I am booked an appointment privately with a counsellor but I was wondering if it worth also seeing a doctor. Can they do anything? I am very reluctant to take medication but I have had several server panic attacks this week.

teawomen Mon 10-Feb-14 08:20:07

Hi sorry to hear your feeling like this. Have u ever seen a doctor before?? They can run tests to make sure there isn't an underlying issue. I find just talking to them helps too (even tho u hav councillor)

Nojustalurker Mon 10-Feb-14 09:53:50

I have previously. About 3/4 years ago when the Gp said it was a normal reaction to the extreme pressure I was under the time. About a year ago I spoke to another Gp but I never followed it up.

teawomen Mon 10-Feb-14 10:43:07

Maybe go back for peace of mind. It's a ten minute job and you won't b wasting their time. I was reluctant to try meds I tried everything but tbh they have saved me from a life of fear.

Nojustalurker Mon 10-Feb-14 14:53:36

I think the problem is my reaction to an external problem so I don't think there are med which will help. Maybe I am wrong?

clio51 Mon 10-Feb-14 15:42:33

Hi
It's the problems that causes the sensations in your body to react! Hence the heightened anxiety because you feel the changes in your body ie pounding heart, shaky etc.

If you don't won't to take meds try rescue remedy,or calms.
Perhaps the councillor will do some CBT with you. Hope you nip it in the bud.

Nojustalurker Mon 10-Feb-14 18:12:18

Thanks for the advice. I have bought some calms today and I will book an appointment to see doc next week when I am off.

I was worried about wasting the doc time but I did think a out what I would say to a friend.

Nojustalurker Wed 12-Feb-14 16:56:54

So I had a panic attack at work today not great when you are teaching a lesson. I have left school tonight in tears. Think i am going to have to go to the doctors

teawomen Wed 12-Feb-14 17:12:24

Hi it's horrible I can sympathise. Go I doctors and try cbt. There r plenty of book out there. I read at last a life by Paul David's it's really worth a read he has a website www.anxietnomore.co.uk have a look if you get time

Nojustalurker Wed 12-Feb-14 17:33:42

Thanks teamwomen. I have had a bit of a cry and now feel better. I have tried Cbt today but it did. It work. I am wondering if the panic today was as a result of the counselling. I always have panic attacks after stressful events.

teawomen Wed 12-Feb-14 18:24:01

It's hard to deal with them when your working especially children because you know u can't run away (so to speak). But they will pass and hopefully soon enough they will stop.

I knew nothing about anxiety/panic until 18month ago it hit me like a brick but now I'm learning how to cope and can deal with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now