Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

mood stabilizers - insomnia

(10 Posts)
TwinkleTwinkleNeverwhere Mon 10-Feb-14 01:07:45

doctor started me on lamotrigine 3 days ago and now i can't sleep - anyone got experience of this? is it just an initial side effect?
I take sertraline and olanzapine as well but mood had been so low this past month they said this would help.

just wish could find a balance of meds that works for me!

cupcake78 Mon 10-Feb-14 01:14:37

I think they can all affect your sleep but might be wrong. I know I was affected by sertraline but others have been ok.

Juneywoony Mon 10-Feb-14 06:39:46

Hi, I've been on lamotragine nearly 6 months now, I can't really remember that much about the side affects at the beginning I was too busy worrying about the rash which thankfully I never got.

Three days is not long I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, you could ask your doc for something in the meantime to help you with sleep?

Lamotragine has been the best mood stabiliser for me, I still feel like myself (if that make's sense), I was on Depokate for 5 months previously and that did not suit me at all.

I wish you all the best with it and hope you find a good set of meds that suit you, I know how hard it can be, I've had mine messed around so much, xxxxx

LastingLight Mon 10-Feb-14 07:13:47

Are you taking it in the morning?

TwinkleTwinkleNeverwhere Mon 10-Feb-14 09:02:48

taking it at night as although i can't sleep i feel quite sleepy so worried i can't drive if tale it in the morning.

I'll ask my doctor for something to help with sleep if its still bad when i see her this week.

LastingLight Mon 10-Feb-14 09:17:06

My psychiatrist told me to take it in the morning because of the risk that it may keep you from sleeping.

Juneywoony Mon 10-Feb-14 10:01:56

I take it both in the morning and at night, I have the stronger dose at night and I don't feel drowsy through the day apart from a bit of a lull in the afternoon but I had that anyway before, everyone is different on meds though, hope it works for you, xx

TwinkleTwinkleNeverwhere Mon 10-Feb-14 10:33:37

I'll take it in morning today and see how that works out - don't need to drive today.

Can anyone tell me how long before the mood stabilizrr made a difference? im just trying to get through the days hour by hour just now.

LastingLight Mon 10-Feb-14 10:38:49

You need to give it two weeks, although you might very well start feeling the effects sooner. Hang in there. It took a long time to find the right combo of meds for me but once the doc got it right life became so much easier.

Khalessi Mon 10-Feb-14 21:13:38

Hopefully it will settle down. I switched from quetiapine to abilify andt initially my sleep was dreadful but settled after a couple of weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now