Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Dh won't get treated for bpd - help to support him

(8 Posts)
daisydee43 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:00:37

Dh has bdp and stopped taking medication about 2 years ago and has got better in recent years. However it does keep coming back and as a typical bloke he won't get treated so just wondered if I could support him/ say right things/Lear more?

fedupandtired Sun 09-Feb-14 21:18:56

As far as I know medication isn't all that helpful with personality disorders, therapy is thought to be more effective. What's helped him in the past? Has he had any therapy?

My friend has borderline personality disorder but was initially misdiagnosed with bipolar. Once her diagnosis was changed they took her off meds and embarked on therapy. Perhaps that's what your husband needs.

livingzuid Tue 11-Feb-14 21:20:29

Hi daisy I was posting on your other thread in relationships and didn't see this sorry. Do you mean bpd as in borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder as was mentioned on your other thread?

fedupandtired Tue 11-Feb-14 21:22:24

Ooh I assumed it was borderline as that's often shortened to BPD. If it's bipolar then it's completely different.

livingzuid Tue 11-Feb-14 22:56:00

Until I was diagnosed I always got them confused too! I'd read forums and think hmm that doesn't sound like me. Doh.

Anyway op just confirmed on her other thread that this is bipolar disorder that her dh has. Very different approach as you say.

daisy I think I said to check out bipolar UK who have a lot of info for carers and leaflets etc. Hope you get it sorted.

fedupandtired Wed 12-Feb-14 18:06:59

I'm not confused about the difference. I'm bipolar myself and know the differences very well. People with bipolar usually use BPD to refer to Borderline Personality Disorder and not bipolar hence why I assumed that's what she meant.

I haven't seen another thread so aren't aware what's been confirmed.

livingzuid Wed 12-Feb-14 18:09:00

I have both. I was referring to the op being confused not you.

livingzuid Wed 12-Feb-14 18:15:27

Pressed send too soon. Also meant to add that there is general confusion over what bpd is if people are not directly living with it. So I'm not quite sure what your post is referring to?

I don't want to link her thread without her permission but I'm sure there must be a search function where you can find it. It is still going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now