Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Lowering citalopram and now I feel awful

(5 Posts)
ihavenonameonhere Sat 08-Feb-14 14:51:52

Hi

I started on 10mg of citalopram about 3 years ago when I wasnt dealing with my Dad having cancer very well. It did seem to take the edge of things but after a breakup last year I went up to 20mg and had been on that til last week.

When speaking to the Dr we agreed to lower me back to 10mg and see how I got on and to be honest I feel terrible. My anxiety is awful. I have a spot on my nose and have just spent the past 30 mins being very upset as I am convinced I have cancer now, I had to call my parents and send them a picture to see what they thought!!

Not sure what to do, think I might have to take 20mg today and go back to the doctors next week sad

ohfourfoxache Sun 09-Feb-14 09:15:31

Definitely up the dose to 20mg and see your dr ASAP

Hope you start to feel better soon x

Sparklingbrook Sun 09-Feb-14 09:18:21

Hi ihave. I am reducing Citalopram too. I was on 20mg and asked if I could reduce to 10mg to start with. GP suggested 10mg/20mg on alternate days for 3 months to begin with.

I have just stopped that and now on 10mg a day for 3 months. perhaps the reduction was too sudden for you?

ManicMinor Sun 09-Feb-14 09:22:43

I've recently dropped from 20mg to 10mg, and had two weeks of feeling anxious and unwell - headaches, dizziness - before it cleared. I think the drop is quite marked - I will soon work towards stopping completely, but have told my GP I need to do it more gradually.

The anxiety you're feeling is very much likely to be withdrawal rather than reemergence of real anxiety, but I would take 20mg and go back to doc to agree a more gradual drop. The pharmacist advised me to do this if I felt I was struggling. A tablet cutter to go to 15mg for a month?

ihavenonameonhere Sun 09-Feb-14 18:16:47

Thanks guys, went back onto 20mg yeterday and will be at the doctors as soon as I can get into see my regular doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now