Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Inappropriate crying triggers

(8 Posts)
Squidwert Fri 07-Feb-14 19:10:46

Hello.

I've googled this and so far feel like I'm the only person who experiences it hmm

I find it very hard to cry at times when I badly need to express emotion, but at times when tears are wholly inappropriate it starts happening. Applause at big events is a trigger I've had for a long time.

I'm finding it really annoying because I'd quite like to have a good cry to release a lot of pent up emotion!

I know it's weird, but I hoped MN with all our quirky colourful members might be the place to ask.

I've NC for this by the way.

Honeysweet Fri 07-Feb-14 22:53:51

Not sure that I have the answers.
What has you life been like up to now? Straightforward?

Squidwert Sat 08-Feb-14 09:01:26

Not exactly. Some pretty big life traumas I guess, but never had a problem with crying at appropriate times until recently. Now it seems it's impossible unless I hear outpourings of emotion like when people cheer/clap etc. weirdly when the cheers are for me it sort of passes me by and nothing happens at all confused

StainlessSteelCat Sat 08-Feb-14 09:15:02

I find myself reacting in a similar way when I am very stressed. I didn't notice specific triggers, but an outpouring of emotion like applause would get to me, and yes, in a way that it wouldn't if it was for me. For me it's a combination of self pity, low self esteem and a feeling that I should bottle up my emotions. That's a lovely combination of unhealthy thought processes so I'm not surprised things cane out wrong.

I've had counseling and am trying to address the stress. I still cry, but now it's out of frustration usually, and is triggered by the "correct " event.

in my case I would take the crying at the "wrong " trigger as a sign I was too stressed. apologies if that doesn't fit, but I would say you need to take care of yourself and give yourself time to process those events you've had recently.

Honeysweet Sat 08-Feb-14 09:29:44

Do you think that the pretty big life traumas are catching up with you in some way?

Have you now got some down time to think things through? Or are you stressed as Stainless says?

Squidwert Sat 08-Feb-14 12:20:55

Well I think I'm stressed on top of stress, so I've not had the chance to process one thing before another happens. I get very angry over tiny things and I often have no memory of it afterwards. In fact I'm struggling with my memory generally

Honeysweet Sat 08-Feb-14 12:27:08

You sound like you are on overload.
You are emotional, understandably. So it comes out in a safe way when others are showing emotion too.
That is my uneducated guess.
Even your memory is now being affected.

Any chance of some time out? Even if you spent some of it crying?
<Hugs> to you btw. I think that you could do with some.

Squidwert Sat 08-Feb-14 17:28:22

Thanks, hugs definitely needed!

I lost my home in a fire (with all our stuff) just after a failed heart surgery in 2011, then found out I needed IVF so embarked on that straight after, had my DS but the clinic killed the other 4 eggs (took them to court) then went back to work full time when DS was only 6 months. That was all on top of some other stuff including several bereavements, a stalker and a sexual assault, then on Monday another bereavement and my health is awful. I thought I was doing really well but I'm not superhuman!

People constantly tell me I have bad luck which really doesn't help shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now