Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

when to have a holiday after breakdown

(5 Posts)
spottyspotty Thu 06-Feb-14 20:26:42

DH had a major breakdown brought about by issues from childhood combined with a physical illness, he attempted suicide and spent 10 weeks in a mental health unit. He has been home a month, and things are gradually getting back to normal. He is desperate to take me and our 3 DCs on holiday at easter, as we all need a break. But I am terrified about being away from home incase he has a relapse. He is getting cross, and we argue about it. The DCs are teenagers, so a holiday would be good for them too. He certainly seems better, has the odd bad day, but he feels he needs to get away completely. How can I best support him and get him to understand my fear

Millie2013 Thu 06-Feb-14 21:03:29

Can you go somewhere in the uk? Be far away, but close enough to home, should anything happen.
And in the meantime, can he talk about the need for escape with his team/therapist, to explore what it might mean?

fluffydressinggown Thu 06-Feb-14 22:14:20

Last time I was in hospital I was discharged in the May and went on holiday in August. We booked it about 6 weeks before we went. So I don't think it is beyond the bounds of reason that you could go away at Easter.

I think, for me, the promise of the holiday was enough to keep me focused on my recovery. When we went it just felt like such a huge huge achievement and I think it really benefited my recovery.

A trip within the UK sounds like a good compromise if you are worried.

Honeysweet Fri 07-Feb-14 09:23:34

Definitely you should all be going.
It is amazing what a holiday, even for a few days can do.

JenBehavingBadly Fri 07-Feb-14 16:58:40

I had a holiday at the start of August after being discharged from hospital in the middle of June. We went abroad and to be honest, it was very healing for the whole family to get away from the UK and go and spend some time in the warm recovering from a very hard time.

I'd go. The chances of him having a relapse when you're on holiday are quite small as it would be obvious before you went if he was going downhill again.

I expect that all of this has left you very much on edge and walking on eggshells. That's perfectly normal and its probably easier for the person getting better to no worry about the consequences as it is for the person on the outside. I hope you start to recover soon as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now