Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

6 weeks pregnant and on citalopram 40mg

(7 Posts)
Harrietandjames Thu 06-Feb-14 18:36:12

Hi,
After a very unhelpful visit to my gp I'm feeling very anxious. I have a 6 month old and suffered from PD hence my dose of citalopram. I've been reading the advice online & it's scared the s**t out of me. Has anyone had a similar experience?

SilverStars Thu 06-Feb-14 19:29:24

Hi - some AD's are prescribed in pregnancy. Citalopram is one of those. Could you ask for a referral to a peri-natal psychiatrist to review this medication if you are not happy with the Gp?

Have you a supportive HV? To help you more with practical issues, with another dc on the way? Baby groups, support groups etc at the children's centre.

Personally for me the best help I got when my dc was that age was sleep - so anyone who can have your little one for a few hours in the day so you can rest would be great.

Harrietandjames Thu 06-Feb-14 19:36:31

I think I am going to ask for a referral. I'm currently doing CBT which is going very well. Gp said to see someone who is an obstetrician as they know more about pregnancy and meds. The internet is so scary!! I'm going to get my DS weighed Tuesday so will defiantly mention in to the HV. I don't have a lot of family by my side but am napping when DS is! Thanks for the advice

SilverStars Thu 06-Feb-14 23:39:59

You can tell the midwife when you see her for your booking in appointment and they may have a mental health midwife who could liaise about medication for you? Just ask. And indeed your HV may be a quicker way to access information.

Sillylass79 Fri 07-Feb-14 10:09:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissHobart Sun 16-Feb-14 22:29:40

I've been taken off citalopram and put onto amitriptyline by my GP as I'm ttc as it's been around longer and there's more research on out in relation to pregnancy. However I do think the risks are low when compared to the risk of having a depressed mother! smile

RonaldMcDonald Sun 16-Feb-14 23:54:33

Amitriptaline is excellent during pregnancy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now