Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

My husband's been diagnosed with bipolar disorder - help

(6 Posts)
PeggyCarter Fri 31-Jan-14 20:10:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

larahusky Fri 31-Jan-14 20:34:37

PeggyCarter Sun 02-Feb-14 20:31:40

skyninja Sat 08-Feb-14 17:04:54

my husband has recently been diagnosed with bipolar II, although he has been suffering from in (IMO) for at least 20 years.

What can I say to help....well, at least he's had the diagnosis! And as you have experience being on the other side of MH, treat him with the same patience (often through gritted teeth) that you would like to see applied to you when you are struggling with your cyclothymia.

Don't expect too much of him. But truly, be happy he's got the diagnosis, as the worst times have been while DH bipolar was not officially diagnosed.

Pawprint Sun 09-Feb-14 14:49:28

I agree re. the bipolar.org.uk website. Very useful. I have bipolar type two. It tends to respond well to medication.

livingzuid Tue 11-Feb-14 21:16:41

I have bipolar 1 and the main thing is to agree your care and crisis plan. So if he starts to crash what do you do, who to contact first etc. My dh has his own code for me and when I start to go he knows what to do to get me out of it. Funnily enough it's all to do with our dog! He'll just plonk the dog in my lap, make me go for a walk with him or just get the dog to sit next to me so I can cuddle him. Or gets him to do something stupid. And if that doesn't work then he calls our crisis line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now