Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

please can someone help me? emetophobia.

(3 Posts)
Daisycat22 Wed 29-Jan-14 23:24:33

I have long term mental health issues (personality disorder, bipolar, anxiety, depression) are some of the names been banded about over the years, no firm diagnosis as I usually don't stick around long enough.

My main issue is emetophobia, I have had this for as long as I can remember. Over the years it has been really bad (was virtually homebound in my 20's) and sometimes a lot better (able to go on holiday).

Anyway, I had a breakdown (for want of a better word) 2 years ago and was unable to work for over a year I then got a job in a residential home and really enjoyed it.

However, before Christmas there was an outbreak of d & v and I unfortunately caught it. Now before this I actually hadn't been sick for years and I think over time the true horror of being sick lessened. When I was ill with this bug I wanted to die (no exaggeration). I was off work for a week and my anxiety levels went through the roof. Going back into work was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

I have now regressed to how I was years ago (restricted diet, OCD very bad and I don't want to leave the house unless necessary). I've started CBT 2weeks ago and I just feel at my wits end. I don't know what to do about work I feel physically sick every minute I'm there, my anxiety is so bad I'm near to tears for the whole shift.

I was at work yesterday and someone was sick, I hid in the toilet and only came out when I knew it had been dealt with. I'm looking for another job but nothing so far but I feel like I can't go back, I'm due in on Friday and feel like I'd rather sever my own arm than go back there!

I don't really know what I'm asking, I just feel so fed up with it all.

Pandora321 Fri 07-Feb-14 20:27:10

Hi, I found this post while looking for advice form myself. I too have had this for as long as I can remember and am desperately seeking a way out of this phobia.

I have found info on hypnosis and cbt but I can't afford the 60-70 per session they charge. It would be ok if it was a one off but they say you need 8-12 sessions!

If I find any answers I will post back here.

Stay strong x

Millie2013 Mon 10-Feb-14 07:34:55

Sorry, this isn't something I know much about, but there's a support thread here, that you might find useful. It sounds really tough for you sad

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/feeling_depressed/1874805-emetophobes-its-that-time-of-year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now