Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Positive experiences of Sertraline or similar?

(27 Posts)
NudeRevengeWiggle Wed 23-Oct-13 06:10:57

I'm going through the crappy first couple of weeks, I'd like to hear some positive stories! Did they help you? How long did it take before you felt better?

NudeRevengeWiggle Wed 23-Oct-13 11:24:09

bump

Fyll Wed 23-Oct-13 16:32:00

I'm on about week 4 of sertraline.

First couple of weeks I felt sick, headache, tired and generally numb.

Then I started to feel better, stopped worrying about stuff and felt happier and in control - I really thought they were working.

But then on Monday I had a massive dip in mood and it's not got any better. I feel down, unmotivated and angry again. I'm hoping it picks up but I'm doubtful.

Weegiemum Wed 23-Oct-13 16:35:07

Kept me sane (and possibly kept me alive) through 3 lots of PND. It works!!

PeggyCarter Wed 23-Oct-13 16:37:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2old2beamum Wed 23-Oct-13 20:37:14

I am on day 7 of Sertraline 50 mgs, feel nauseous all the time and diarrhoea which makes me very grumpy. Also feel lightheaded and numb and can't sleep but I suppose it is early days.

LunaticFringe Wed 23-Oct-13 20:39:24

bundaberg Wed 23-Oct-13 20:42:57

sertraline worked very well for me. tried several before it, but sertraline was the only one that really made me feel better.

came off it easily too

Funnyfishface Thu 24-Oct-13 23:56:41

Hi.

I have been on sertraline for 4 weeks for anxiety. I switched from citalopram.
I have had no side effects switching. I feel much better. I am sleeping normally.
I take mine with my evening meal.

Good luck

leezl Fri 25-Oct-13 00:03:22

Works for me, no side effects, no problems switching from other meds, no withdrawal. I love it :D good luck smile

GingerbreadMoomin Fri 25-Oct-13 00:08:58

Sertraline got me through pnd and I found it easy to come off when the time was right. It did make me feel a bit sick for the first couple of weeks and I also experienced jaw-clenching but those side effects did wear off. I don't think I realised how low I was until it actually started to work and should I suffer from pnd again I wouldn't try and put off taking it like I did last time.

GingerbreadMoomin Fri 25-Oct-13 00:10:20

Forgot to say, I was on it for about 7-8 months before I started to wean myself off it.

I hope you get through the first few weeks ok and it works for you. Good luck x

NudeRevengeWiggle Fri 25-Oct-13 04:47:32

Thank you. Can I ask what time of the day you all take/took it?

leezl Fri 25-Oct-13 08:09:14

First thing when I wake up.

PeggyCarter Fri 25-Oct-13 09:18:36

Megbeth Fri 25-Oct-13 09:40:23

I've been on it for years. It's the best one for me with the least side effects. Takes about 4 weeks to feel it's working. I have switched to others but have always gone back to this one.

teawomen Fri 25-Oct-13 10:16:05

Hi, can u join in. I've just started taking this for anxiety. Fluoxetine made me depressed I couldn't stop crying. Have been asked to take these in morning but last night I took my first one worried about the side effects. Is it too for anxiety? Sorry for gatecrashing

Treasures Fri 25-Oct-13 10:26:20

I've been on Sertraline for over 2 years now. Excessive sweating and jaw clenching were the worst side effects for me. I take mine mid-morning. I didn't really notice I was feeling better until about 3 months in. They absolutely work though and I would recommend sticking with it through the side effects. They have been an enormous help to me. I think they are used for anxiety, mine are for depression though.

NudeRevengeWiggle Fri 25-Oct-13 10:35:10

I'm taking them for PND and health anxiety, possible PTSD.

I am absolutely shattered, I take mine about 9am and am so tired I can barely function by late afternoon. Wondering if I should take them in the evening instead or if this will pass in a few weeks.

2old2beamum Fri 25-Oct-13 10:43:20

Have written on other post please don't confuse my addled brain and yes I am shattered too and no appetite!!

Treasures Fri 25-Oct-13 10:58:05

At first I took them at night as recommended by my GP. It interfered with my sleep so I switched to first thing in the morning. But like you say, I'd be shattered by tea time. Now I take them about 10:30am and that seems just about right for me. Try different times and see what works best for you.

PeggyCarter Fri 25-Oct-13 11:11:24

teawomen Fri 25-Oct-13 11:31:30

2old2bamum thanks I seen ur other post. Unfortunatly I don't have a 21st birthday to look forward too hmm so I'm ok on alcohol front. Il start taking mine midday. Have a dd to look after so don't wanna b feelin to bad. I also have GAD really can't b doing with this. I'm trying my hardest to overcome it that is my problem x

MooseyFate Fri 25-Oct-13 13:10:19

My DD (15) has autism and is on Sertraline for anxiety disorder. It has also helped stabilise her mood swings and PMT. It has been fantastic. She didn't eat as much as usual during the first two weeks on it, probably because she was feeling nauseous, but absolutely fine now. She takes hers in the morning and sleeps fine at night. She isn't tired during the day. Her psychiatrist built her up slowly starting from 25mg, going up in small increments and she is now on 100mg.

leezl Fri 25-Oct-13 20:46:32

You could always ask to have your dose adjusted if you find you are very drowsy after the initial four to six weeks, or even change to something else. What works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else, and you shouldn't feel bad about that. It's a bit like some people preferring aspirin for a headache and others preferring paracetamol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now