We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do i help my son who is hearing voices and self harming

(6 Posts)
richteaaddict Sat 12-Oct-13 03:31:34

I mean really help him, we are going through CAMHS, got school on board, me and his dad talk about everything (we are divorced), I listen, I we talk lots, he gets very frustrated at the slightest thing..i reassure... but I still feel I am not helping enough

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 12-Oct-13 04:28:56

Talking and being there for him is the main way you can help him OP. when does your ds have an appointment? How old is your ds?

richteaaddict Sat 12-Oct-13 17:10:51

he is 14, he sees psychiatrist on Tuesday, as a matter of urgency!! his mood just changes from minute to minute! I just want my boy back

RandomMess Sat 12-Oct-13 17:14:45

I wonder if he needs to be sectioned and get some meds sorted out - hearing voices is very very serious, is it getting worse or better or what?

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 12-Oct-13 18:56:42

If you think he is a serious threat to himself or others before tues then call ooh or 999. Hope you're ok

JohFlow Wed 16-Oct-13 15:49:21

Mind, The Samaritans, Mental Health Helpline... all offer over the phone help/advice for those suffering with mental health issues or the people that care for them. Including with that crisis in the early hours if you need it. You need chance to let off steam too.

Waiting for help to kick in is always a tense time. The biggest thing you can do at the moment is help to keep him safe (removing anything that he tries to harm with, checking in on him regularly, encouraging doors to be open, giving him chance to vent safely) . I would also contact CAMHS and suggest that you could do with help and advice inbetween sessions - they may give you contacts that are regional to you. CAMHS will decide the best treatment options - in-patient, medication, long-term psychiatric help. Are there CPNs (Community Psychiatric Nurses) in your area. These can visit in the home.

As Wish says - if you really get into hot water- the ambulance can help. There is no shame in realising when specialist help is needed.

It can make us feel helpless when there is someone with complicated mental health issues in the house. That does not mean that you actually aren't helping - you're probably doing quite well! It is the nature of some illnesses that someone can either feel detached from you or transfer what's going in their heads to you. This is the illness speaking. I know it is quite difficult; but try not to take his behaviour personally. Riding unpredictable mood swings is always very difficult.

Try to get some support for yourself and hang in there. He is starting to access the services he needs. Hopefully these will help instigate change soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now