Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

feel really depressed and can't buck myself up

(7 Posts)
EnlightenedOwl Thu 06-Jun-13 11:57:11

and I'm taking anti-depressants! and have done for some time.
I'm overeating (comfort eating possibly) so put on weight - feel depressed. I've got a job I need to turn up looking reasonably smart for and I just can't be bothered any more I've felt scruffy the last few weeks. Just can't seem to break the cycle. Its get up work come home collapse on the sofa because I feel tired bed and then back to work again.
Just can't seem to break out of the cycle?
feel isolated and like no one actually cares really...

nostress Thu 06-Jun-13 13:20:01

Sorry to hear you are feeling down!
Have you tried exercising? A brisk walk 30-60min a day can really help and has the added bonus of burning calories and increasing fitness!
Also what type of foods are you eating? Some things are really bad for your mood (refined things like white bread, pasta, rice also sugar/caffeine & alcohol). Some foods are good for lifting your mood because the provide precursors for the happy hormones etc. Oats, bananas, pineapple, eggs are some of the best. Also sunshine/vitamin D important..
Why not get up 45mins earlier have porridge & banana for brekkie have a brisk walk before work. Give it a week. It works for me! In fact if I cant walk in the morning for any reason I begin to feel stressed and short tempered.
...I can also recommend getting a dog for some company but not everybody likes them!
Also some music on you ipod helps pass the time.

valiumredhead Thu 06-Jun-13 13:32:30

Poor yousad thanks

Worth going back to see your gp in case you need an increase in meds.

EnlightenedOwl Thu 06-Jun-13 14:06:22

the trouble is and this sounds really bad I can't find the wherewithal to exercise. Would love a dog but work commitments don't allow although i do have a cat as I can leave him during the day without probs.

valiumredhead Thu 06-Jun-13 15:33:09

In that case I really do think a trip to the gp is in order if you are finding it so hard to motivate yourself. Could you manage a 20 min walk or is that out of the question?

EnlightenedOwl Thu 06-Jun-13 19:03:29

I simply feel too exhausted during the week but manage to motivate myself a bit at weekends - managed an hour out walking last Sunday for example. I feel like I'm being idle and it really isn't me.

Elquota Thu 06-Jun-13 22:11:00

Yes, sounds like you need to go back to the GP. They might change your dose or try a different antidepressant, or they might do blood tests to check for any physical reason for your tiredness such as anaemia or underactive thyroid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now