Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

The doctor dosn't think I'm depressed so why do I feel like shit?

(8 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Tue 04-Jun-13 23:09:34

I went to the doctor now about how I feel; shit after my break up, slight suicidal thoughts, lack of joy but he won't describe me anti-depressants as he says it's a natural reaction to being dumped. I would quite like to have something to take the edge off the pain though. AIBU to want citralopram. I was also having anxiety attacks when with my ex.

CatsCantFlyFast Tue 04-Jun-13 23:57:16

Don't want to read and run, so posting to bump.
IMO your doctor is right in a way as most people feel down after a breakup and they wont want to prescribe antidepressants to everyone immediately. However all people and situations are different, so if you need more help go back and see a different doctor.
What concerns me is that you want a specific medication, are you sure this is just related to the breakup?
I'm sure someone who knows more will be along soon. Look after yourself and take one day at a time

AdmiralData Wed 05-Jun-13 06:57:17

Sorry to hear you are feeling so horrid OP, but I am also wondering if it is just the break up that is making you feel this way? If it is you may want to wait and see if it passes before going along the route of anti depressants. I had citalopram myself many years ago and it can be quite harsh stuff (was for me, could be different for other people).
You did mention that you had anxiety attacks when you were still with your ex, perhaps the root cause of those is making you feel bad? It's worth going back to your gp and explaining when you started feeling bad and making sure you mention the anxiety smile I found it very helpful to carefully think out what I was going to say before going to my gp as I often get flustered when trying to explain myself. Good luck smile

superstarheartbreaker Wed 05-Jun-13 08:05:44

The ex smoked weed which made me anxious....even though he didn't smoke it around me. It was doomed but I still loved him and I felt lied to and abused. Plus I have a tricky toxic friend who I am struggling to dump.

Ilikethebreeze Wed 05-Jun-13 13:43:59

Do you have positive relationships in your life currently?

PenelopePipPop Wed 05-Jun-13 23:05:27

SSRIs like citalopram have not been shown to be effective in the management of mild-moderate depression and it is usual for reactive depression like depression in response to the end of a relationship to improve significantly over the course of 6-8 weeks. Since it would take citalopram at least 4 weeks to be effective it would be a bad drug to prescribe for you. At best you have a small chance of enjoying a 2-4 week benefit on it, which is considerably outweighed by the unpleasant side effects (most people suffer acute anxiety) you would experience whilst you started taking it. And after that it would take a long time to come off the drug.

Citalopram is not a drug which takes the edge off pain. It is a drug which can be useful in the management of severe depression over the long-term (usually 1yr+).

However, if you did not talk to your GP about the anxiety attacks it is perhaps worth going back to him and explaining about those too since they are also worth investigating. It may also be the case if the depression persists (or has already persisted for longer than 6-8weeks) that he may have under-estimated the severity of your depression. In either of those cases he might want to reconsider how to help you.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Jun-13 19:57:48

Hi all. Thanks for the moral support. I am just struggling so hard to see the positives in anything or anybody atm.
One of my friends is toxic and I don't have the strength to end it.
I dearly miss my ex even though he was a complete arse to me.
Work is not challenging enough for me and I am not recognised. I applied for a promtion last yer, got and interview but didn't get the job last year. This year I didn't even get an interview. Got rejected from an interview today. I just can't cope from this continuous rejection.

On the positive note: I have a date Sunday with a nice sounding guy. Must not go on about negative stuff or get drunk and try to shag him on a first date!

superstarheartbreaker Fri 07-Jun-13 19:59:13

In answer to your question I like thebreeze. I have no dp but many lovely people around me but because I feel so awful I am not relating to them positively . Hope that makes sense? I am very snappy and impatient with dd for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now