Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Oh help, I can't do it

(11 Posts)
GetYourMoneyBackAtTheDoor Sat 18-May-13 07:40:38

I am supposed to attending a work event today. I usually cope ok and no one knows I have this history of anxiety and depression. We have a lot going on at the moment including looking at houses with a view to moving.

I have a bit of a cold, a heavy period and just feel I can't go. I am so dizzy whenever I move my head. I'm shaking and feel sick. Got up at 6, had breakfast, brushed my teeth, shower. Keep having moments of feeling fine and rallying round, then suddenly overwhelming dizziness.

I just feel I can never try to achieve anything in my life as whenever I am under a bit of pressure I just dip out as I can't cope with my anxiety symptoms.

I'll be so depressed if I stay home in hiding today, but I am too scared to go. What if I have the symptoms when there? What if I faint? Vomit? I can't

GetYourMoneyBackAtTheDoor Sat 18-May-13 07:41:08

Crying, I wasn't expecting this today. I didn't even know I felt worried about it.

Queazy Sat 18-May-13 07:54:12

What are you most anxious or scared of? It sounds like the work event has turned into something awful for you.

If you think you may feel worse from staying at home, in terms of feeling low about it, go along and just know that you're in control and you really can leave if you need to. I really felt for you when I read your message - I've been there and neither option feels safe or comfortable. You said you always experience this - are you seeking help or support for anxiety? X

GetYourMoneyBackAtTheDoor Sat 18-May-13 08:22:54

Thank you. I'm not going. Rest of family are up now. I still feel very sick. I'll post later. Thank you for replying x

Ilikethebreeze Sat 18-May-13 11:28:36

Only now seen thiS.
I would have called in sick.
I have periods occasionally like you describe,I certainly wouldnt be able to work feeling like that.
I had a good sickness record. But what you describe would and did floor me.
It had nothing to do with anxiety or depression or whatever.

Ilikethebreeze Sat 18-May-13 11:29:21

Now read your last post better!
glad you didnt go.

kerstina Sat 18-May-13 14:50:54

Yes I have periods like that too. Horrible and debilitating.Agree it is a different issue to the anxiety and depression. You did the right thing hope you feel better soon xx

GetYourMoneyBackAtTheDoor Sat 18-May-13 15:16:20

You're right. I've never had a period like it. So heavy and painful. Thank you for appreciating how important it is that I know this isn't the dreaded anxiety returning. I have spent 2 1/2 hours in bed this afternoon and still feel pretty washed out. It's such a relief.

I am under stress at the mo. Lovely dh sat down with me this morning and wrote down all the things I'm worried about so we could go through them and try to make things easier. It did help. Can stress affect periods?

Thank you again for replying. I am so glad I didn't go!

Ilikethebreeze Sat 18-May-13 15:19:04

Glad your DH was nice.
I dont know about the stress affecting periods bit. It probably does.
But as the times I had the periods like you describe, I cant say I remember being extra stressed.

kerstina Sun 19-May-13 18:42:57

Yes I believe stress can make periods worse. Could you be a bit anaemic as that can cause heavy periods. Heavy periods can cause anaemia which is a bit of a vicious circle. I also think if you are anaemic it can affect your mood and make you more prone to anxiety and depression.

GetYourMoneyBackAtTheDoor Sun 19-May-13 21:04:59

I am often verging on anaemic. Have been taking double dose spa tone and feeling much better. Thank goodness, I was so scared!

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now