Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

coping strategies

(5 Posts)
UnicornCentaur Fri 17-May-13 21:35:33

so today has been awful and I'm not sure why. im out at the moment and daren't go home because I know when I'm on my own I will try to hurt myself.

anybody got any coping strategies

Ilikethebreeze Fri 17-May-13 22:03:41

Dont know , but will bump for you.
Do you think you need to see a GP?

ColouringInQueen Fri 17-May-13 22:28:50

Hi if you're making plans to hurt yourself then please think about ringing your out of hours gp or else the samaritans on 08457 90 90 90. Is there anyone in real life you're able to be open with about how you're feeling?

Hoophopes Fri 17-May-13 23:27:49

Strategies that help me are:
Being with others, so arrange to stay with someone if need be or even just sit in a cafe etc.
The 15 min rule, which states that just have to get through next 15 mins safely and then next 15 mins. Basically breaking time up into manageable chunks.
Making and using a distraction box. Putting in it treats or secure things, things to distract with. Like a photo of child, a small teddy to hold, play dough to squish, crayon isn't stuff etc
Setting myself a reward. Say can have xyz if get through til tomorrow.
Taking prescribed medication such as a sleeping tablet and curling up in bed with a magazine.

UnicornCentaur Sat 18-May-13 17:11:32

Thank you all for replying. I knew I couldn't go home on my own so I went to a friends. I knew he wouldnt ask any questions if we slept together.

Today has been better so far, I came home and have done 10 min blocks so far. I see the CMHT anyway but they are not being overly helpful right now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now