Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone found AlAnon useful?

(4 Posts)
ITCouldBeWorse Fri 17-May-13 16:58:15

DH is currently dealing with the death of his sister from alcohol abuse. It really is sad, she had withdrawn from us so slowly and yet so completely we had no idea she was an alcoholic. In fact the remaining family still can't say the word.

Her passing has no ended the problems in several ways and I know he feels a strong sense that he could have done something to change events, and somehow should sort things out now.

I wondered in al-anon might be useful and it anyone could recommend it?

Thanks

Chanatan Fri 17-May-13 21:50:57

I really dont know but maybe a trip to his GP may be a starting point and see if they could offer any advice on organisations that may help.

Showtime Sat 18-May-13 23:35:26

I learned in Al-Anon that I didn't cause the alcoholism, along with a lot of other useful facts. There will probably be other people in the group who have lost a relative and will be able to offer support and understanding at this time.

GeordieCherry Sat 18-May-13 23:41:29

Yes, definitely worked for me. It's like physio rather than an operation though, it takes a few meetings to start to work

Sorry about your SIL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now