Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Help with 'addictions'?

(3 Posts)
NeedsTherapy Fri 17-May-13 13:57:02

I've been in therapy for a while and I'm starting to see that I have serious problems sad comfort eating to the point of binging and shopping. Sometimes shopping for the binging, and sometimes shoppin for the sake of it.

It's causing problems in my relationship, my self confidence and my bank account.

I'm starting afresh from tomorrow. I'm going to stop spending and comfort eating and wondered if anyone else wanted to join with me?

I thought a thread on here might help.

ClaraOswald Fri 17-May-13 15:14:42

I understand the binge eating. Usually it's when I feel in least control of myself.

I am beginning to recognise what some of the triggers are. For me, it used to be working with a particular combination of people. One of those people has left, the other two I just leave to their own little clique.

It takes time.

SirBoobAlot Fri 17-May-13 23:50:27

<waves>

Firstly, tackle one thing at a time. Don't look at this as ''I need to change everything NOW'' as you will just overwhelm yourself.

When I used to have (and still sometimes have) problems with impulse buying, the best thing I found to do was withdraw a certain amount at the beginning of the week, and then leave my card at home. I found that having less access to money was the first step to assessing what I was doing.

On the eating - what is it in particular you're craving? Is there a time of day it is worse? Evenings were the toughest part for me, because I was alone and bored. So keeping in touch with people, finding something to do with both my hands and my mind - puzzles, crosswords, crochet...

The other big thing, which I'm sure you have realised, is that these symptoms tend not to just happen by themselves. There are a symptom of something.

What type of therapy is it you're having?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now