Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Valium and flying anxiety - how best to take it?

(6 Posts)
CakeInMyFace Thu 16-May-13 13:57:14

Hi
I posted a while ago about flying anxiety and had some really helpful responses. I've managed to get some valium from my doctor (my flight is just 3 weeks from today). It's a long-ish flight, 7-8 hours and going with my DH and DD who is not yet 2.

I was wondering how best to time the valium / when to take it for those that have used it? I've got 28 tablets that are 2mg each. Is it best to take one the morning of the flight and another just before we board? Or better to take a larger dose at once?

My doctor wasn't hugely helpful so hoping for some advice here.

Thanks very much!

kizzie Thu 16-May-13 15:37:16

my advice would be to do a little test run in advance if you havent used it before.

So try a 2mg when you dont need to drive or anything and see how that makes you feel.

And steer clear from the 'take a larger dose at once' - you do actually want to be awake at the other end smile

You might find that one 2mg is enough. Or its more effective for you with one 2mg then topped up with another one. Its difficult to give advice because everyone responds to it differently.

Hope the flight goes well.

CakeInMyFace Thu 16-May-13 17:24:56

Thanks Kizzie. I tried a 2mg tablet at home the other evening. It certainly made me feel relaxed and quite drowsy - but then I'm always so shattered in the evening it was hard to know if it was the valium or just me being so tired.

I suppose I could stick with the 2mg and then if the anxiety is still quite strong take another one (I'm guessing 2mg is quite a low dose?)

Thanks for the help.

kizzie Sun 19-May-13 16:10:26

Hi yes it's quite a low dose. So you could take one - see how you feel and if you needed another could try adding it later. You might find that 2mg is enough

recall Sun 19-May-13 16:24:43

Have you thought about taking beta blockers instead ? I suffer quite badly with General Anxiety, and the GP was reluctant to give me Valium long term. I asked if I could try beta blockers and they are working very well, I'm chuffed to bits. They are short acting, so seem to kick in in about 30 minutes, and last for 3-4 hours. I still think the thoughts, but I get non of the gut churning feeling of fear. Don't feel drowsy either. Just a thought smile

CamelBalls Sun 19-May-13 17:50:25

I take valium quite a bit but in your case I would get your husband to look after your toddler and you to concentrate on you.

The more you take the more your body gets used to it so you may need more on the way home.

I would take one before you leave (depending on how long the flight is and how likely your to get panicky) I would practice deep breathing (Im sure you have done this before but I had a panic attack whilst on a motorway and couldn't get anything) and trying to keep calm.

I would then take another before boarding (if you got to the airport two hours before and a couple of hours travelling since last one)

Get on the plane and just ignore everyone else - put headphones on (can't have them for take off) and as soon as possible turn music on and close your eyes - you should sleep on 4mg of valium if your not used to it!

Do remember you can break them in half so you can take 1mg before you leave instead of a whole tablet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now