Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Schizophrenic DB3 self mutilation, now in hospital - what support? What to expect next?

(12 Posts)
Sugarbeach Wed 15-May-13 04:01:12

I cannot put into words what I'm feeling now, but I'm coming here in the hope of some practical advice.

Yesterday I received a phone call from DB4 from my home country ( I live in Malaysia), after various Skype/FB messages it became clear that DB3 was found roaming the streets early in the morning, bleeding heavily having mutilated himself badly, mumbling to himself about "bo-ying" (cantonese for payback/revenge) and people "wei hip" (threatening/blackmailing him). He had been diagnosed as schizophrenic a few years back and this is clearly a severe episode of paranoid schizophrenia.

DB3 was taken to the local hospital by ambulance and I understand from DB1 and DB4 that he was being operated on.
DB3's flat has now been sealed off by the police, I'm not sure what they are investigating.

I'm not sure what happens next, or what to expect from the processes with the hospital and the police. Will he now be sectioned and detained and sent to some sort of mental hospital permanently?

What sort of mental health care or social support is DB3 entitled to or can be expected to receive? We need to understand this so that the DB's back home could make sure to get the care and support DB3 needs. Just want to add that DB3 speaks little English and lives by himself, although his nephew lives next door and DB1 lives 5 mins drive away. The lack of English, together with his mental illness, will make social worker's attempts at engaging with DB3 for the help he needs very difficult.

I would be grateful for any support, advice or experiences shared.

Sugarbeach Wed 15-May-13 04:11:27

The other thing is 8 yo DD has been asking about her uncle, how hurt he is, how did he hurt himself, why, what's he in hospital for etc..I'm not sure whether to be evasive or how much details to give or what is age appropriate, or how much to say about mental illnesses, self harm etc..

Any advice from a parenting point of view would also be appreciated.

Crawling Wed 15-May-13 07:18:39

He may be offered special accommodation whefe there are carers on hand he will be a inpatient Until a doctor feels he is no risk then closly monitered in the communnity.

I would tellen your dd that her uncles brain makes him think he is sadam when he is not so doctors are going to give him some meds to let his btain know everything is okay hth.

Crawling Wed 15-May-13 07:19:11

Sorry on phone.

Bittoosensible Wed 15-May-13 08:18:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sugarbeach Wed 15-May-13 09:06:06

Thank you for all the info and kind word Crawling and Bit.

Yes, sorry I wasn't very clear in my OP, DB1/3/4 are in England, what I consider as my home country, but I am currently living in Malaysia. Just feeling a bit helpless that I cannot do much and cannot be there, and even if I'm there, I don't see what I can practically do to help.

Now all sorts going through my own mind about how hereditary it is, that I had episodes of depression and (minor) self harm in my teens and twenties, and whether it's all inter related.... just worried for DD.

Sugarbeach Wed 15-May-13 09:07:54

Would anyone be about to shed some light on why the police have sealed DB3's flat please.

tiredemma Wed 15-May-13 09:09:08

did he live with anyone?

Sugarbeach Wed 15-May-13 09:11:26

No

fedupandtired Wed 15-May-13 16:13:09

I'm guessing they'd only do that if its a crime scene. As to what crime is anyone's guess.

Bittoosensible Wed 15-May-13 16:30:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hellohippo Wed 15-May-13 19:49:52

I think his flat may be sealed in case his injuries were caused by anyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now