Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Not sure if this is the right place to post...

(7 Posts)
CamelBalls Tue 14-May-13 22:03:19

But is it actually possible to have a shopping/spending addiction?

How do you define this and is there anything which can help?

Sorry for vague questions - trying to work a few things out and I'm getting myself confused....

Ilikethebreeze Tue 14-May-13 22:04:32

As far as I know, yes.
Have you googled it?

SirBoobAlot Tue 14-May-13 22:06:14

It can be. It can also be part of general self destructive behavior.

CamelBalls Tue 14-May-13 22:20:15

I have googled it - but alot of sites were American and wondered if it was that Americans see everything as a addiction unlike the UK.

SirBoobAlot - that sounds interesting - saying it could be general self distruxtive behaviour.

I have a urge to go shopping pretty much very day - weather I go to the corner shop and buy some milk or go or drive 20 miles to nearest town to buy something "which I need"
It doesn't matter what I'm buying or who I buying for - as long as I have brought something. I can't save and pretty much go in my over draft each month as run out of money. Even if I know I'm in my over draft I will buy something I don't need, something I want just because it is pretty.
I was on AD's for around two years as came of them around 9 months ago (although been extremely tearful last few weeks) but even when I was depressed I would Internet shop - I could do it from my bed and it would be delivered.
Sorry this is just mindless typing really, I don't know what I'm trying to say....
Does anyone have any experience of it?

Ilikethebreeze Tue 14-May-13 22:31:07

Will bump again for you, but I think actually with this, you may get more posts in chat.
I am pretty sure it is a recognised addiction.
And, trying to remember a thread that was on MN about 5 months ago, it can come down to a person trying to fill a possible emotional void in their lives.
hth

CamelBalls Tue 14-May-13 22:32:51

Is it ok to copy and paste this in chat? I wasn't sure to post originally in chat or not....

Ilikethebreeze Tue 14-May-13 22:40:43

Umm. I am not the most internet savvy, or site savvy.
I think the usual thing to do is to start a brand new thread in chat, and put the link to this one.

But if you know how to copy and paste it, then I think that will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now