Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine problems

(5 Posts)
Empross76 Sun 12-May-13 20:40:22

Hi there,
A bit of background - I suffer from anxiety and stress as well as occasional depression. I have been taking Citalopram (between 10 and 20mg) for about 4 years.
My GP recently changed me to 20mg Fluoxetine as we felt that the Citalopram was maybe becoming less effective as I've had depressive bouts for the last two years as well as hormonal dips with my menstrual cycle. Also I have had a shockingly bad memory and problems with focus which she felt could be attributed to the Citalopram.
So I'm four weeks into the Fluoxetine and it's been horrendous. At first it seemed like side-effects from swapping one drug for another - head fug, 'spaced out', etc. But now it feels like I've had a relapse - I feel very down as well, and teary, un-motivated, want to hide in bed all day. I've been signed off work and in touch with my GP during all of this, but have my first appointment with her since changing medication tomorrow.
When we spoke on the phone she mentioned changing back to Citalopram, which we'll discuss tomorrow.
I'm scared to tamper any more with my medication incase it makes things worse. Does anybody know if it's:

the act of swapping from one medication to another which is likely to have knocked me off balance and into a relapse

OR

the actual medication itself not working?

I can't work out which has happened and obviously this would have a bearing on what we do next.
It may be worth pointing out that there was no phasing in and out - it was 10mg Citalopram one day and straight on to 20mg Fluoxetine the next. My husband says I'm acting like I'm not on any medication at all so he thinks the Fluoxetine isn't working at all.
I just want to be a bit more informed before I see my GP tomorrow - if anybody has any experience of this I'd love to hear what you have to say!
Thanks.

ColouringInQueen Sun 12-May-13 20:53:21

Hi empross, sorry to hear you're having a tough time. For me it took about 4-6 weeks for the fluoxetine to have an effect, but I want coming of another ad which will have an impact. How you can have a good open discussion with yr gp and work out a plan together. Take care x

ColouringInQueen Sun 12-May-13 20:54:02

Wasn't coming off...

Shakey1500 Sun 12-May-13 21:01:25

I am not a GP or any type of medical practitioner, have no professional knowledge AT ALL.

However, I was on Fluoxetine years ago and had an extreme reaction to it. I became unrecognisable and my depression worsened. I cannot link at the moment but there are several reports of people having an adverse reaction on certain antidepressants, Fluoxetine being one of them. Sorry, not wishing to alarm you but it's worth knowing.

Empross76 Mon 13-May-13 19:46:26

Thanks for the replies. GP decided Fluoxetine wasn't working for me so has put me back on Citalopram.
Hoping it will sort me out. And as for the original problems I was having on Citalopram? We'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now