Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sick of dealing with low moods from hormonal changes-postnatal, premenstral but still want to ttc

(1 Post)
nicnix Sun 12-May-13 13:49:00

I have had regular bouts of depression/mood swings and irrational thoughts before my period since a teenager.

I had my son and suffered from very low moods, mood swings, insomnia and quite obsessive/irrational/rigid thinking until my period came back when he was 18 months.

I was breastfeeding which is why it took so long to come back and also was why I never spoke to anyone about my mental health as I just assumed they would recommend anti-depressants which I didn't want to take as I was breastfeeding (and still am).

I felt pretty good for the first cycle, mood improved and insomnia also improved.

The last couple of cycles I have felt pretty good but my mood drops significantly about a week and a half before my period. The only thing getting me through is knowing that it is only temporary.

I was wanting to start ttc but I am sick and tired of having my mood controlled by my hormones. I feel so guilty about wanting to have another baby and having my negative emotions affect my family for 1+years. I also feel weak and useless that I cant control my emotions.

I dont even know what I could do if I did decide not to have anymore children. Would taking the pill stop my premenstrual mood swings? I haven't taken the pill for 5+ years, before then I was a serial pill changer and I never took the same brand for longer than a couple of months as I was always paranoid about them affecting me negatively.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now