Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

sectioning a family member

(18 Posts)
dementedma Sun 05-May-13 20:23:34

My brother is an alcoholic, not coping, wants to kill himself. He needs to be sectioned I think. He is really at risk. What should I do?

SnowyMouse Sun 05-May-13 20:25:33

You may find this helpful.

Kahlua4me Sun 05-May-13 20:29:28

Try contacting for your local mental health crisis team or ring your ooh doctor for help. They should be able to do something.

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 20:33:03

Can you speak to a drug charity or get him to go to a doctor. Sectioning has its own problems. It needs to be done on advice.

SnowyMouse Sun 05-May-13 20:42:51

It can be much harder to get sectioned than people think

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 20:46:36

Generally. ..people have to want to help themselves in order to get better unless they are seriously mentally unwell. Does he have any other issues you are concerned about other than alcohol addiction?

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 20:48:03

Is there any way you can encourage him to go to rehab?

UnChartered Sun 05-May-13 20:51:24

is he having medical treatment already? if so, what's happening, is he waiting for intensive treatment/taking meds etc? if not, his 1st point of call should be his GP if he can wait until after the BH

if he can't wait, if he's really at crisis and wants help, A&E can call in emergency psych help

Madamecastafiore Sun 05-May-13 20:55:57

Take him to a&e crisis team can take him to a 136 suite to section him if appropriate. Being sectioned is not easy and has to be agreed by AMHP that he is immediate danger to himself or others.

If he is drunk he will most likely be observed until sober as section ing someone when they drunk could cause all sorts of problems when they sober up and presentation has changed.

dementedma Sun 05-May-13 21:28:12

He has been to AA and was taken to A&E recently with DTs and given diazepam short term. Then was referred to alcohol support team for weekly counselling which he attended for a while then stopped. Hasn't eaten for days, is extremely distressed, tearful, afraid. Still drinking today. Hasn't washed in days. Says he is dying.....he is in a very bad way

dementedma Sun 05-May-13 21:30:43

Have found a residential rehab place but he needs a referral from gp for NHS to fund it.he says he wants to go, he wants to be sectioned, says he can't cope any more and the voices in his head are driving him mad. He lives alone and I know he is drinking tonight

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 21:32:34

Take him now while he wants to go. Maybe they will recoup the cost until he gets referred or possibly you could help. I have experience of this and you need to take him while he wants to go. Its imperative.

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 21:33:05

He wont need to be sectioned if he wants to go.

hearthwitch Sun 05-May-13 21:34:24

It hard to get someone sectioned. I know from experience as my dm is bipolar and my ds was an alcoholic. I've been through hell with them both. they have to want to help themselves and sometimes you just have to let go. I'm now nc with dm and its the hardest decision I have ever had to make. but untill she accepts responsibility for her own health I can't see her.

fluffydressinggown Sun 05-May-13 21:37:41

It can be hard to section someone for alcoholism. His nearest relative can request an assessment under the MHA. There has to be evidence that he has a MH disorder that requires assessment or treatment against his will.

He can be admitted to a MH unit without being sectioned.

Rethink is a useful website.

Like others say you need to go via A&E and the crisis team or the police but it can be hard to get a 136.

TrinityRhino Sun 05-May-13 21:40:21

maybe you mean 'admitted to a mental health unit' rather than sectioned

if that what you mean and you think he is at risk of trying to kill himself then just drive to your nearest and they will check him out

have done this sad

I will say though that if he is drunk they may not take him into the MH facility

this happened and my 'friend' was taken to a and e to dry out and then admitted

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 21:41:29

Yes unfortunately he may need to be sober.

Madamecastafiore Mon 06-May-13 16:31:29

Don't take him to MH Unit, I know of none that would take him without a referral from the crisis team, a&e, community team, GP (would need to be gate kept by community first in this instance) or being taken there by the police.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: