Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anyone else get these physical symptoms with stress/anxiety?

(12 Posts)
suebfg Wed 01-May-13 21:06:49

- paleness of face
- feeling detached/like I'm not quite with it/fuzzy head
- skin feels dry/taut - difficult to describe
- very tired/dry eyes

I do suffer from anxiety/stress but am not sure if the above is linked to it or if there's something else wrong with me.

rightsaidthread Wed 01-May-13 21:08:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

suebfg Wed 01-May-13 21:15:49

Oh dear ... have you sought treatment? I've been to the doctors but they thought it might be linked to my periods (as my symptoms do get worse ten). How do you manage it rightsaidthread?

Lonelybunny Wed 01-May-13 21:21:12

Yes , definitely the feeling not with it , and I get really tired with it I'm guessing from getting so worked up.

Lonelybunny Wed 01-May-13 21:22:08

And the nausea, stomach dropping, shaking, feeling really cold and panicky sad

rightsaidthread Wed 01-May-13 21:29:25

suebfg Wed 01-May-13 21:33:56

Hi, I've had blood tests too as I thought it could be anaemia but the bloods were fine.

I was put on the mini pill to try to regulate my periods - it has helped a little I think at the time of the month.

BelaLugosisShed Fri 03-May-13 12:01:04

I've recently been put on fluoxetine for menopausal symptoms like the ones you describe, after taking 20mg a day for a month I can't believe how much better I'm feeling, physically and emotionally - DH made me see my GP, he thought I was going to have a breakdown I had got so bad, like the worst pms ever on bad days.
I had blood tests for hormone levels and for underactive thyroid ( which I was convinced I had because I had every symptom of it, but not apparently) my fsh level was 20, which means I'm well into peri-menopause, I can't have HRT due to breast cancer being prevalent in my family and my GP suggested Fluoxetine, as it helps with severe pms and also menopausal symptoms like hot flushes and anxiety.
I was very worried about taking them initially after reading horror stories of side effects, I've never had ADs before and can honestly say they are helping, I haven't had a period for nine weeks now which is annoying as I want to see how I am premenstrually, which was always my worst time.
Pretty much the only symptom I still have is dry itchy skin, it's driving me mad, my face, neck and back especially.

rightsaidthread Fri 03-May-13 12:03:58

mum47 Fri 03-May-13 14:06:26

Bela I could be you! I am approaching 50 and thought my emotional swings were to do with the menopause although I am still having regular periods. Went to my GP a few days ago, because I felt just like you describe. GP thinks it is more to do with fact I have had a lot to cope with over last few years than that I am fully menopausal. Or it could be a bit of both. Hey ho...

I have been prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine which I started taking on Tuesday. I feel a little bit nauseous and shaky but not sure how much of that is real, and how much is just feeling weird about taking ADs for first time ever.

Also I made the mistake of googling and seeing many varied stories about responses to Fluoxetine, so have decided to look no more, take it without thinking and see how it goes. Part of me does feel really positive that I have taken this step, but am also worried I will expect too much and be disappointed with results, and thus no further forward.

BelaLugosisShed Fri 03-May-13 18:27:11

I'm 47 soon.
Before taking the medication I had terrible anxiety/ irrational fears about anything and everything, it had crept up on me over the last year or so, DH couldn't say anything to me without me taking it the wrong way/ jumping down his throat, I would end up in tears several times a week.
I had really obsessive and traumatic thoughts about him leaving me or being unfaithful, absolutely bonkers as we've been together for over 30 years and he's as devoted to me as I am to him. I had to stop reading the infidelity threads in relationships because they were getting to me and feeding my irrational insecurity.
I feel like me again, the anxiety has pretty much disappeared and I feel calm and able to cope again.

mum47 Sat 04-May-13 10:39:47

Bela that's really encouraging to hear. I don't think I was feeling as bad as you, but similar feelings. I already feel more positive that I have taken steps to make myself better, and life feels better already - my DH has just got an interview for a job he really wants, I have been given an unexpected pay rise - feel really hopeful of happier times ahead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now