Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depressed, or do I just need to toughen up?

(16 Posts)
oneandnomore Sun 28-Apr-13 23:18:06

Hi. I'm hoping that you lovely ladies can help me please. Everything seems to be out of sorts at the mo. Work is really overwhelming me, I have spoken with my manager but I have some tough cases at the mo and I am taking more on board than I should.
Also, DD is being really hard work and I haven't been responding to her very well. Things were bad yesterday and I ended up in bed sobbing thinking she and DH would be better off without me. I don't mean as in leaving, I was imagining me going out and crashing the car into a tree.
Am in tears now typing this and I know that I have to function normally tomorrow, DD to school and me to work.

If I ask for a GP appt tomorrow, will they think that I need to pull myself together and sort the issues out? I really don't have the strength to do it anymore.

Selba Sun 28-Apr-13 23:20:33

what's your relationship like with your husband?

MacaYoniAndCheese Sun 28-Apr-13 23:21:23

No. They will not think that flowers. Do whatever you need to do to get your mojo back smile.

BonzoDooDah Sun 28-Apr-13 23:24:27

I don't think you need to toughen up at all. but you need to work out why you feel so bad. losing you would be The Worst Thing ever to happen to your DD so remember that. please speak to your Dr and at the least speak to someone who can gel, you work through this.

BonzoDooDah Sun 28-Apr-13 23:25:16

*help you work through this

oneandnomore Sun 28-Apr-13 23:26:32

Relationship is okish. We have different views on how DD is handled, which doesn't help matters. But we are basically ok, been together 16 years and he is a lovely chap!

What do you think GP will suggest MacaYoni? I need structure to my days and really don't want to be off work.

oneandnomore Sun 28-Apr-13 23:30:49

I will speak with someone Bonzo, to be honest I think this has been coming on for a while but I have managed to ignore it up to now.
I have been depressed some years ago, but was after losing my parents. I don't have that excuse this time.
Maybe it's just stress?

oneandnomore Mon 29-Apr-13 17:54:23

So, I spoke to a work colleague and she has made me see sense, I had talked myself into not going to the doc's but thinking I could sort myself out. I have an appointment for Wednesday.
I'm not very good at talking about things because I get so upset. I think part of it is that I still miss my parents so much although it's several years since their death. I don't allow myself to "go there" and have compartmentalised this.
Sorry for the waffle. Just writing it down helps.

BonzoDooDah Tue 30-Apr-13 00:49:45

Oh good - glad you spoke to colleague and still seeing Dr. Loosing two parents must be so hard to deal with. Go easy on yourself.

mum47 Fri 03-May-13 14:17:59

Well done Bonzo I went to my GP this week after feeling a bit like you describe. She was great, I started crying the minute I got in but told her about various things I had dealt with in recent years including my dad dying, and my husband nearly dying and she said no wonder I felt like I did!

She has prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine (had never heard of it but it is Prozac) - which I said I was willing to try, and has also referred me to a psychoanalyst. I feel so much more positive after taking these steps and hopeful that there is a way of getting back to being myself again. Feel a bit odd getting ADs as never had them before but worh a go!

Good luck at the doctors. Be honest, tell them everything, don't be embarrassed. Keep posting on here. I posted before going to the GP and the support I got was amazing

BonzoDooDah Fri 03-May-13 19:48:37

That's a great result from the doctor. So glad you are feeling better about it all. Remember it's not an instant fix and there will still be bad el.s but really this is the start of up!

BonzoDooDah Fri 03-May-13 19:49:09

bad days ... rotten phone!

oneandnomore Sat 04-May-13 19:36:44

Hi mum47. Am glad you had a good outcome with your GP.
Mine has suggested I go for counselling. It's a self referral service in my area, so the onus is on the patient to want to change I guess.

I have felt better as the week has gone on, but I have been having panicky moments too. I have what I guess are OCD tendencies, i have ro get ready in the same order in the morning, have to have 4 pumps of shampoo and 20 pumps of shower gel, and so on. Anyway, I was at my desk and was panicking because I felt like I really needed to have the daily measure again of shower gel. Totally random and not like me at all.
There have been other times this week also. I never panic about anything, other than when dd gets ill.

I don't know whether to try and make an appt for counselling, though don't know when I will have time as so busy at work so I can't really take time out plus I don't want to tell my manager about this. Or should I make another appt with doc, maybe one who knows me better?

mum47 Sun 05-May-13 10:52:53

one I would definitely make an appointment for counselling, any positive steps you can take towards feeling better can only be a good thing. It might be worth speaking to another doctor too?

I think anything you can do which makes you feel like you are taking control of the situation and your own health - certainly for me - can make you more positive.

Can I suggest taking Vitamin B6 supplements - they are meant to be good for your nerves - I have taken them in the past for pmt and thought that they helped.

I am sure you will get more, and better, advice on here, so keep posting, and try and be positive. flowers

flippinada Sun 05-May-13 10:55:27

No, you won't be told to pull yourself together. Have some thanks .

You sound very stressed and anxious. Do you think some time of work would help?

flippinada Sun 05-May-13 10:59:16

Going back, I see you've already mentioned the work thing. Can you book some time off in the near future?

You've mentioned you find it hard to talk about things, why don't you write it down our even print off your first post here and show it to the doctor?

Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now