Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Quick question - if seeing crisis team do I have to have a carer?

(20 Posts)
GracieLoo Thu 18-Apr-13 19:46:05

They wanted a next of kin, which I understand why, but then asked who was my carer. I've never had a carer but as I have no partner, said my mum, but it's making me feel worse than ever that they're going to contact her if I ring them or need their help. Do I need to have a carer as I'm on my own. Can't they just get me through this crisis?

Sorry if I'm repeating what's on my other thread, just wanted any advice on this as it's all new to me.

SnowyMouse Thu 18-Apr-13 20:02:41

No, but if you do have someone giving support it's useful to them.

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 18-Apr-13 20:04:46

No, you don't need a carer. They ask for details incase you do have one, but you don't need too.

I always leave that part blank. Tell them you don't have a carer and would prefer that they didn't contact your mum. They won't mind: I never give anybody.

Fluffydressinggown Thu 18-Apr-13 20:26:08

No you don't they are there to support you. You can ask that they don't contact your mum as well. They have to look at all areas of your life in order to give you the right support.

Hope you are ok.

GracieLoo Thu 18-Apr-13 20:45:16

They said I have to take their practical advice ie stay at my mums. I said I think that would make me feel worse. I didn't think to ask what would happen if i don't. They also said not to drink, I am sad I've just googled stuff, and read they don't take on people with personality disorders which i've seen on my notes, so i'm expecting them to discharge me tomorrow. I also think social services will turn up and my family will be told behind my back. Feeling very paranoid and out of control.

Fluffydressinggown Thu 18-Apr-13 20:57:49

I have pd and I have seen crisis loads, why do you think they won't see you? Their job is to keep you safe so they will encourage you to do things to be safe and part of that is taking responsibility for yourself through positive choices. That said it is bloody hard to do!

They won't go behind your back, they will be honest with you. It is not always easy to hear.

SnowyMouse Thu 18-Apr-13 21:01:47

As I was reminded recently, treatment is not just about meds, where you are and what you do is too,

GracieLoo Thu 18-Apr-13 21:02:42

I just found some thread on another forum saying they wouldn't see pd's as its a long term problem. I probably shouldn't google stuff. I just want to be able to ring them when I need to, not have loads of people involved.

nenevomito Thu 18-Apr-13 21:07:46

The crisis team is there to support anyone who is in Crisis and no one can tell your family without your permission.

nenevomito Thu 18-Apr-13 21:18:38

me again - this link is to the Mind charity pages about what the crisis team does. Hope its helpful.
Mind Information

NanaNina Thu 18-Apr-13 21:24:58

Hi snowymouse are you still in hospital, as I thought there might be a chance of you being discharged this week.

Gracieloo are you actually in hospital, as you are talking about discharge or do you mean the crisis team will discharge you. I think as everyone says they are there to help/support anyone with a mental illness. It is true that PD is not a treatable mental illness, but you still need support.

GracieLoo Thu 18-Apr-13 21:27:06

Thank you, read through it the best I could, still feels like it's not happening to me.

GracieLoo Thu 18-Apr-13 21:28:25

No i'm not in hospital, meant discharged from crisis team.

Fluffydressinggown Thu 18-Apr-13 21:41:46

NanaNina - PD is a treatable illness - there is lots of evidence out there that PD is treatable.

I think with all MH (PD, depression, psychosis etc) getting better is a jigsaw, the right meds, the right support, the right choices. Crisis are concerned with helping you get through each day with support and help - of course you can ring them.

SnowyMouse Thu 18-Apr-13 21:45:32

I'm home but still on section 3, NN (sorry, not trying to take off your thread Gracie)

GracieLoo Thu 18-Apr-13 22:04:29

It's fine, not my main thread anyhow.

GracieLoo Thu 18-Apr-13 22:09:22

That wasn't sarcastic btw!. We're all here to support each other and listen to each other's stories.

NanaNina Fri 19-Apr-13 13:01:49

FDG my apologies if I am wrong about PD - would be interested in learning of ways that it can be treated (my friend has been "diagnosed") and told there is no treatment. Are meds beneficial or talking therapies.

Fluffydressinggown Fri 19-Apr-13 22:57:35

info here

It is a myth that PD is untreatable.

NanaNina Sat 20-Apr-13 19:49:35

Thanks so much for the link FDG - I will pass on the info to my friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now