Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sectioning yourself?

(21 Posts)
BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 12:07:11

Is it possible to temporarily section yourself? What's the procedure? What would be the consequences? What would happen to my kids? (age 1 and 2). I have a DH but he works full time so couldn't do childcare.

Crawling Fri 12-Apr-13 13:53:44

You can admit yourself but not section as that is when you are held against your wishes sorry cant be more help.

Welovehamsters Fri 12-Apr-13 16:22:28

Hi BlackMary

Really sorry you are in a place bad enou t be contemplating this.

As crawling has said, if you are willing to go into hospital willingly you would not be detained ('sectioned'). However if you are feeling very unwell with regards your mental health you can request a mental health assessment the way you would do this might vary depending on your current circumstances, do you currently have contact with a mental health team? If you do my advice would be to ask them to see you urgently or perhaps refer you to the local crisis/intensive team/home treatment team.

Sorry I am not sure what would happen to your DC's if you needed to go to hospital, my first thought was that your DP would probably need to take some emergency time off work, or perhaps ask another family member to support you both with the DC's for a while until you are n your feet?

I know foster care is used when there's a lone parent in this type of situation but ot sure if there is a partner on the scene.

Hope you get some help and are feeling a little better soon. X

PainForLife Fri 12-Apr-13 17:08:52

from personal experience I can going in voluntary I.e not getting sanctioned is much better as it gives you more choices. you don't sound like you would fall into that category to me. like welove said if you already have your local crisis team no they set best people to talk to. if not you can go along to your local a&e and tell them you urgently need a psych assessment. they will arrange the rest.

I'm currently on a ward myself & came in voluntarily. I know it was the right decision for me to keep myself safe. I'm lucky that my parents can take my daughter in times like this so I don't have that extra burden to think about. not sure what your situation is. is there anyone you can ask to have your kids?

I'm sure isn't not going to be an easy decision to make.

BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 17:09:27

Thank you for your replies. I saw my doc yesterday. She has increased my Sertraline dose from 50mg to 100mg. She is very supportive. I have the health visitor coming on Thursday. I hope I can keep going until then.

PainForLife Fri 12-Apr-13 17:12:24

sorry just read u have a DH - can he not get time off work I'm sure in this situation the employer will have to make an exception. is there any1 that can maybe give your husband a hand in looking after the kids whilst your away?

PainForLife Fri 12-Apr-13 17:14:44

Mary - cross posted with you.

that's good about the Dr visit. just take each day as it comes but also have you thought about getting someone to help you. looking after a one year old and a toe year old must be hard.

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 12-Apr-13 17:15:19

I don't think that her DH is an option in this case...there's another thread about this.

BlackMaryJanes Don't be afraid to go to A&E or find your local crisis team if you need too.

Fluffydressinggown Fri 12-Apr-13 17:22:33

I am sorry you feel so bad.

I am sectioned at the moment and it is only done when you are unwilling to stay informally (voluntarily) and there are very specific criteria. You have to have a mental disorder, be a risk to yourself or others and there has to be appropriate treatment available in hospital for you.

There are support services out there to help you get through the weekend if you need it, you can ring the crisis team for immediate support. I hope your increase in meds helps.

BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 17:22:45

I'm hoping I can stay strong until HV comes. Also hoping the 100mg will make some difference.

BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 19:56:46

I've just had an epiphany (I think that's the word). I've literally just had a fucking epiphany in the shower.

When I was 12 my mum tried to commit suicide. I came home from school one day to a house full of police. "Your mam has took an overdose and then went into the woods. Someone found her."

At the time (and for many, many years later) I thought: "What a bitch. How evil. She didn't give a shit about me. She didn't care what happened to me. Dad had left me and now she was trying to. How selfish!"

I thought this for many years. In fact, it contributed to me being estranged from her (I haven't had contact with her since July 2012). But today, I finally get it. Over the past 24 hours I've had thoughts creep into my consciousness: "Just OD; your kids will be better when they don't have to deal with you being miserable and making them miserable; they can get on with their lives". For the first time in my entire life ODing sounds like a plausable option. And so I finally get it. I now know how my mum felt.

You don't care about your kids. You don't care about anything. You don't care what happens to your own kids.

An epiphany.

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 12-Apr-13 20:01:00

Flip that thought over. And imagine your DCs feeling like you did then.

Please please don't do anything like that. There are people you can speak to, people that will help you through this.

BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 20:05:24

I want to phone the Samaritans, but DH is here, and he won't leave.

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 12-Apr-13 20:06:48

Just do it. Go in another room, go for a walk.
Just pick up the phone.

BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 20:07:17

What's the number?

OiMissus Fri 12-Apr-13 20:14:23 national number 08457 909090
Be brave.

crossparsley Fri 12-Apr-13 20:30:32

Also services have come on leaps and bounds since your mum was at her lowest - even in the last 5 or so years the whole health profession has caught up a lot with the best MH attitudes. There is help and you can get it. Even the fact that you can say what you've said and come on here shows you know you would be better with some help. Please get it because you are entitled. And do call the Samaritans - that's why they are there.

PregnantPain Fri 12-Apr-13 20:52:31

You can email samaritians too.

BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 22:03:46

Wow. Bizarre night.

I phoned the Samaritans. They were great. As I was finishing my conversation with them the door bell went. So I answered - it was the police!

Turns out my friend was concerned about me and had phoned the police! I've just spent an hour dealing with them and talking to the 'crisis team'. They checked the kids. Had a word with DH. They've left now, and DH does not look pleased.

crossparsley Fri 12-Apr-13 22:51:27

I hope you're feeling more stable now OP. it's good to have made RL contact with people who can help -police and Samaritans - and to have such a good and sensible friend. Hope you get some sleep.

Hoophopes Sat 13-Apr-13 08:42:10

Glad Samaritans ok, you can can call them anytime. Your health visitor may be able to get some extra support with your children if you can be honest with her. There are some resources in some places for crèches. Or funding for child care for 2yr olds, she can refer you to home start etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: