Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline or Venlafaxine?

(9 Posts)
Stupidlyanxious Fri 12-Apr-13 12:01:32

Hi. I started another thread a few days ago about the anxiety I have been experiencing here - for back story

Saw the psych yesterday who has suggested Sertraline or Venlafaxine. Just wondering if anyone would share their experiences of either drug and how it helped them/side effects etc etc.

I have had a look around on the web and there does seem to be a lot of negativity towards sertraline. Given that I have extreme anxiety, I definitely don't want it to get any worse - even if it is just for a few weeks :-(

Pilgit Fri 12-Apr-13 23:03:08

I have been on venlafaxine for a Google number of years. Has been fab. Side effects - don't combine with red wine. Groggy the next day. Hot flushes and night sweats another side effect- annoying but liveable with if it works for you....

Hoophopes Sat 13-Apr-13 08:38:02

Having had both I prefer sertraline as venal faxing, due to less side effects and venal facing was for me horrific to come off. If you miss a dose of venal famine you will know it!! It works but so did sertraline without the nausea, shakes, brain zaps!!

GracieLoo Sat 13-Apr-13 08:52:03

I'm coming off venlafaxine to start on sertraline. Think sertraline has less side effects, I'm hoping anyway! The nausea and heart palpitations are horrible with venlafaxine, but everyone's different so it's up to you and you're doctor really. Plus venlafaxine can cause weight gain, at least it did with me! I wish there was more info on AD's when they dish them out!

Bluestocking Sat 13-Apr-13 09:00:31

Hi OP, sorry you are feeling so dreadful but well done for seeking help. I have been taking venlafaxine for about three years and find it very effective for both anxiety and depression. I haven't tried sertraline but my first AD was paroxetine (brilliant for about ten years) then a short lived experiment with citalopram, which didn't work at all well for me. You and your psychiatrist may have to experiment with different prescriptions but you will get there in the end and you WILL get your life back. Hang on in there. <hugs>

eminemmerdale Sat 13-Apr-13 09:05:24

venaxx all the way - have been on it for several years and it is the only thing that keeps me sane! Agree that missing a dose can cause a bit of a wierd feeling but that'a the only side effect

NanaNina Sat 13-Apr-13 12:50:04

I think someone has already said it, but the ADs work differently on different people, which all adds to the confusion of mental illness!! It's all trial and error really, and my CPN was telling me yesterday how psychiatrists all had their "favourite" ADs. I'm on an old fashioned tryclic imipramine and the NICE guidelines are for GPs to prescribe SSRIs as they are not dangerous in overdose and are meant to have fewer side effects. It's horses for courses really.

Hoophopes Sat 13-Apr-13 17:20:37

Agree they all work differently. Citalopram made me so nauseous couldn't take it, put on lots of weight on venlaflaxine also (only now losing it thankfully!) Others will have different stories - it is all about trying it, seeing how it works (all tend to have worst side effects in first few weeks) for you.

eminemmerdale Sat 13-Apr-13 18:36:52

This is true - I was on V for a few years and then came off it, a couple of years after that, I had another I don't know, 'breakdown' maybe? Anyway, the doctors tried me on several AD's but the only one that has worked is V, and I kept telling them that until they realised grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now