Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Changing from Citalopram to Fluoxetine

(6 Posts)
Empross76 Thu 11-Apr-13 21:34:38

Hi, I've been on Citalopram for around four years for depression/anxiety/stress. My doctor had just recommended a change to Fluoxetine, mainly as I am now getting suspected hormonal dips in my mood. Also, Fluoxetine should be better for my appalling concentration, hopefully!
So, has anybody else moved from Citalopram to Fluoxetine? Was it successful? Did you get any side effects? Please share and reassure me! Thanks!

Empross76 Mon 15-Apr-13 00:46:39

Anyone?

Showtime Tue 16-Apr-13 00:04:23

Yes, I changed years ago, but under supervision and over a few weeks' time.
Fewer side-effects with Fluoxetine, I think, so glad I changed, but a difficult few weeks during changeover. Good luck, you'll be OK, and it's worthwhile.

Empross76 Tue 16-Apr-13 12:24:29

Thank you so much! Have tried to research but not found much on changing over. Really appreciate you replying.

Showtime Tue 16-Apr-13 21:54:43

GP told me how to cut down on citalopram and have gap before starting fluorexine, can't remember details, but yours should be advising you, not expecting you to research it yourself! Please do ask, it can be very unpleasant if you get it wrong, as these meds don't work well together.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Tue 16-Apr-13 21:57:19

I have changed the other way round. I was told just to stop Fluoxetine and go straight on to Ciralopram.
It worked fine for me with no side effects. Not sure if it will work the same the other way round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now