Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Packing phobia.

(5 Posts)
orangeandlemons Fri 05-Apr-13 22:19:23

Am I just weird? I feel so overwhelmed with it I freeze. Going to London tomorrow for 2 nights. Can only pack very slowly with lots of breaks in between. The thought of not having grey socks to match grey jeans, and black socks to match black jeans is...well unthinkable. Can't look at mobile phone, as it means I have to remember charger. Can't write it down, then I have to face it 3 times, ie writing, reading and doing it.

Am on meds for anxiety anyway, but this has been coming on for years. Sort of feel like a rabbit frozen in the headlights. Am I just strange? Feel choked just writing this

Unfortunatelyanxious Fri 05-Apr-13 22:38:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklingbrook Fri 05-Apr-13 22:43:00

I know exactly what you mean. Packing makes me anxious. i continually want to tip it all out and check it all again.

However, I remind myself that I can buy stuff if need be, and as long as I have the basics it will be ok.

I do write it down it does help.

LadyKinbote Fri 05-Apr-13 22:43:54

You poor thing. I can't relate exactly but do appreciate that going away can be really stressful especially if you already have problems with anxiety. Are there any techniques you've used in the past to help with packing?

TheSilveryPussycat Fri 05-Apr-13 23:11:07

Have always had this. Always had to do it at the last minute, although often assemble piles in advance. I don't put it in the case till the very end, otherwise I am always having to search the case for things just to check they are there.

In fact I went away just before Easter and actually was ferreting about in the case while it was in the car boot to check for the umpteenth time that I had my boarding passes. The trouble with checking like this is that in my relief at finding things, my mind zones out and sometimes, without thinking, I move the thing I'm checking on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now