Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

depakote anyone?

(12 Posts)
larahusky Thu 04-Apr-13 23:51:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crawling Fri 05-Apr-13 07:33:55

I dont take depakote but I can say that I have been on two meds one of which was supposed to be one of the worst of the side effects. I had barely any on both my meds.

One most people complained about was sleeping for 16 hours I was able to get up after 10 with difficulty. You may not get many side effects and I advise you to read the side effects on paracetamol trust me it will help.

Juneywoony Fri 05-Apr-13 07:42:39

I have been on this two weeks too! so will watch this thread with interest.

I think it has calmed me down as i was rapid cycling when i was first put on it but i don't feel great, moods aren't as over the place as they were but gradually as times gone on i am just starting to feel numb and a bit robotic like if that makes any sense?

larahusky Fri 05-Apr-13 08:31:48

Crawling Fri 05-Apr-13 08:45:19

reviews of depakote here

Juneywoony Fri 05-Apr-13 08:45:57

HI Lara,

I'm on 250 twice daily started 16 days ago now and also have a psych review on Monday!

God i hope i don't loose any hair it's very fine as it is, also will come straight off it if i put on weight as i suffer from bulimia at times. I'm trying my hardest to motivate myself back into doing exercise which i love when i am well. Managed to go for a jog/walk the night before last and going to force myself to again later just to try and counteract the weight gain.

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 05-Apr-13 08:47:36

I've been on it since last year. No hair loss or weight gain... I was super worried about them both, but I've been fine.

Juneywoony Fri 05-Apr-13 08:54:39

HI Lara,

I'm on 250 twice daily started 16 days ago now and also have a psych review on Monday!

God i hope i don't loose any hair it's very fine as it is, also will come straight off it if i put on weight as i suffer from bulimia at times. I'm trying my hardest to motivate myself back into doing exercise which i love when i am well. Managed to go for a jog/walk the night before last and going to force myself to again later just to try and counteract the weight gain.

Crawling Fri 05-Apr-13 08:56:20

Also if you compare it to other meds on that site the mood stabiliser score higher than anti pychs and they are supposed to be softer on side effects.

larahusky Fri 05-Apr-13 18:59:56

sj2008 Sat 06-Apr-13 18:26:57

I have taken 1500-2500mg of depakote for nearly ten years, apart from during pregnancy. I am quite sensitive to meds and have had horrible side effects with many mood stabilizers and anti psychotics but can't speak highly enough of this one. I have experienced no weight gain, or other effects and it definitely levels me out. Good luck worth it, I definitely recommend giving it a good go. X

larahusky Sat 06-Apr-13 20:36:08

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now