Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Thyroid and depression?

(7 Posts)
tinypumpkin Tue 02-Apr-13 20:50:26

I am not quite sure where to start but I suppose I am wondering whether there are any MNers who have found themselves feeling really down after a diagnosis of underactive thyroidism.

I have had a dx of an underactive thyroid for a few years now but am feeling spectacularly crappy. Things have been difficult but they don't warrant the extent of the crappiness that I am feeling. I have only just started to wondering if the depression is related to the thyroid issue as today have been told to increase dosage again. It could just be a red herring of course and something entirely unrelated.

I know I should go and talk to someone really but I don't want to go on ADs again (previous history a good while ago and pre thyroid diagnosis). I have survived so much worse (death of DD1) and I feel so stupid for finding things so hard now. I am getting quite cross with myself and that is making things even worse,

I don't think any of this makes any sense. I feel like I am in a self destruct phase at the moment in terms of cutting myself off from people. I can see it but I can't stop myself from doing it

notJenkins Tue 02-Apr-13 20:54:02

Depression is a symptom of hypothyroidism. If you are increasing your dose wait and see if it helps. Have you been on a higher dose before ?
I had no thyroid hormones at all for a few weeks and the mood swings and depression were hideous.

gemma4d Tue 02-Apr-13 20:56:12

Depression IS linked. I'm long term underactive thyroid (decades) so I've read a fair bit and it's a known link. I also get 'down' when my thyroid levels get low. One of the big things for me is thinking about my own mortality and getting upset about the fact I'll die. But only when I have all the other symptoms of needing more levothyroxine.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what to say to try and help you, but thought I'd at least share that scrap of knowledge smile

mercibucket Tue 02-Apr-13 20:58:32

it can cause depression, and its worth seeing what happens when you increase meds. do you keep a record of t4, tsh etc? have you also checked ferritin and folates, also vit d and b12? that can make you v tired which i know isnt the same but cant help.

tinypumpkin Tue 02-Apr-13 21:33:55

Thanks for the replies. smile

NotJenkins, no I have never been on this high a dose before. I don't think it is hugely high, 150mg.

Gemma4d, sorry to hear you have had really down times Dow too. Thanks for sharing. Mine are more about a complete lack on enjoyment (an issue since losing dd1 anyway) and just seeing no point in life atm.

Mercibucket, no I have not tested those things. Are they extras for testing or can I ask for these results with my standard blood test. I am tired, trying to get dd3 back to sleep now.

Thanks again.

tinypumpkin Tue 02-Apr-13 21:34:55

Sorry for typos, one handed typing on my phone.

mercibucket Tue 02-Apr-13 22:27:06

you ask for them to be tested, then its done at the same time as the thyroid blood test. most hypothyroid people are low in at least one. maybe it will be the key to feeling better for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now